THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Vepr 12 optics
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:21 am 

Hey guys,

I've searched all around and cant seem to find any recent answers on what the best choice of optic is for a Vepr 12. All of the answers seem to be 4-5 years old. So I'm looking for advice and hopefully first hand experience on what some of the best optics are for the Vepr 12 now in 2021 and why. I assume I shld go the gas block route instead of the dust cover route. Have a pretty large budget but I dont think I want to spend eotech money.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Vepr 12 optics
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:51 pm 

Holy cow, I can't believe you waited 5 days for your post to be approved. Sorry about that, I just now saw it. :oops:
Regarding optics, I won't get specific, but I will say one thing about them being on a V-12, and that's to keep them FAR away from the ejection port.
A lot of us wasted a LOT of ammo, time, trouble and aggravation finding out it was because the optic was in the way of the hull ejecting fully.
Personally, I had mine modded by EVL, promptly reinstall the optic, then sent him an email about how it was still not ejecting spent hulls.
Yea. "Take off the optic Bob"..... yip, that fixed it.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:37 pm 

No problem, thank you for approving it. So even after you had it modded it STILL wouldn't eject correctly? Which optic were you using? I've read that certain optics run fine and others wont run at all and thats why I wanted to ask for some advice. I was thinking about mounting a primary arms micro dot onto the dust cover for now and eventually buying one of the gas tube attachments that has the pic rail on top like "vepr12allday" recommended on youtube. I've seen this topic discussed before, but it seems like all the recommendations I've found are for optics that are all 5-6 years old a this point and I was really hoping someone had come up with some more recent ideas. I absolutely love this firearm. Its unbelievably fun and I know adding an optic to it to be able to ring steel at 100 yards will just add to the beauty of it. I genuinely appreciate any and all advice. And thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:13 pm 

I used a Bushnell TR25 without problems. I think you can use a base Primary Arms , Holosun ,Vortex and Sig Romeo too. Just keep the optic rearward and don't get something really bulky.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 4:55 am 

Commie Mike wrote:
I used a Bushnell TR25 without problems

Thanks for the reply. Was the battery as bad as everyone says it is? That was my first choice but the reviews sort of scared me away. I read some ppl saying it wld last a good while, but other ppl were complaining about it going dead after just a few range visits. What was your battery life experience like?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:16 pm 

Bmw34542 wrote:
No problem, thank you for approving it. So even after you had it modded it STILL wouldn't eject correctly? Which optic were you using? I've read that certain optics run fine and others wont run at all and thats why I wanted to ask for some advice. I was thinking about mounting a primary arms micro dot onto the dust cover for now and eventually buying one of the gas tube attachments that has the pic rail on top like "vepr12allday" recommended on youtube. I've seen this topic discussed before, but it seems like all the recommendations I've found are for optics that are all 5-6 years old a this point and I was really hoping someone had come up with some more recent ideas. I absolutely love this firearm. Its unbelievably fun and I know adding an optic to it to be able to ring steel at 100 yards will just add to the beauty of it. I genuinely appreciate any and all advice. And thanks in advance!

Again, sorry for the delay. I just today got notification of topic reply. :?: :roll:

Can't recall which optic is was. Just a small red dot. But honestly, it doesn't matter (necessarily) what it is, it's where it's located that causes the interference.
My advice, is ensure it runs perfectly, then >>> WITH THE EXACT SAME AMMO <<< put your optic on, and fire some more rounds.
If it's good, you're good. If it's not, you've already established the culprit.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:36 am 

Bmw34542 wrote:
Commie Mike wrote:
I used a Bushnell TR25 without problems

Thanks for the reply. Was the battery as bad as everyone says it is? That was my first choice but the reviews sort of scared me away. I read some ppl saying it wld last a good while, but other ppl were complaining about it going dead after just a few range visits. What was your battery life experience like?

I have never noticed them having an abnormal short life, and honestly, all of them still work without a battery change. I don't purposely leave them on to test how long they will last though. They are an inexpensive option but there are definitely higher quality ones on the market. You could look up some Vortex and Trijicon with etched reticles. They are pricier, but if the battery fails you still have something to put on the target and use during daylight. In my theory, if a battery or optic fails , and I cannot hit the intended target at close range with irons , I probably shouldn't own a shotgun. Lol.