THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:10 pm 

Hi all, first post here. I've had my Vepr12 for a couple years now, and have just now started looking into choke options. I have previously shot mainly slugs through it, some buckshot as well. The indoor range I shoot at now requires slugs if you want to shoot a shotgun. The first range I took it to would only allow buckshot. I have only added a holosun red dot on the dust cover, a limbsaver type rubber recoil pad, and a gk003 (original) muzzle brake. I seem to have it dialed in with slugs at 75 feet, and rarely hit outside the center ring on silhouette targets. I want to take it to my friend's ranch and shoot some clay's, so I've started looking into choke options. I found this modified choke:
http://dissidentarms.com/index.php/prod ... fied+-+0.5

Is this a good all-around choke for mid-range clay shooting? Can I stil safely shoot slugs or buckshot through it?

On a related note, I have had issues with the gk003 brake slowly loosening while shooting, and have tried to tighten it with a wrench but can't seem to get it tight enough. I generally screw on the locking nut that came with the brake, all the way to the barrel, then screw on the brake as far as possible in the 12 o'clock position, then unscrew the locking nut a couple turns until it's flush with the brake, then tighten it up to the brake with a wrench. Can I use a silicone o-ring between the nut and brake? Would these updated locking nuts help?
http://dissidentarms.com/index.php/prod ... cking-nut/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:54 pm 

Welcome to the Forum! Try using some blue Loctite with jam nut and Gk03 brake.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:01 pm 

I run a SGM Tactical full choke in combination with an original GK-01 and shoot everything from birdshot to slugs.

Be fully aware though that you should be using only Brenneke type slugs, not foster slugs. Brenneke slugs are designed to be fired from choked barrels, foster slugs are afaik not.

Also +1 on using blue loctite on the threads of the nut and brake, and also on the choke threads because it is a pita to get the brake aligned perfectly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:47 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys. I may just get the modified choke and see how it patterns with buckshot and target loads. I figure it's safer to start with a smaller constriction and go from there. I'm wary about the loctite though because I don't want to leave crud on the threads if i were to take off the choke to shoot slugs for example. I guess I need to do more research and test it out a bit. Thanks again.