THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 922R
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:32 am 

Molot vepr-12 with a walnut Keyhole stock imported by FIME Las Vegas, NV. How was it legal to sell at a LGS when obviously it has more than 10 imported parts in fact I would think all parts on it are imported????

Post subject: Re: 922R
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:32 am 

It is in imported configuration. Technically if you were to remove stock and add certain aftermarket stocks, like an adjustable, you would get into 922 BS that no one understands or cares about except manufacturers. You are supposed to follow state laws in regards to certain weapons and accessories if the state you reside in has them.922? Lol. If its legal to buy, enjoy it!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:23 pm 

Because its in "sporter" configuration as it comes from the factory. Perfectly legal.

How is it legal for these control freak b*stards to infringe on citizens constitutional right to own/posses/utilize their weapon of choice for whatever purpose they choose?when it clearly and specifically says "shall not be infringed"? Thats the real question.

As a matter of fact its the only right (right not privilige) that the founders specifically say "shall not be infringed". What does that tell you?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:58 pm 

So if I replace the wood stock with a AR-15 type folder adjustable then I have to change out nine more parts?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:40 pm 

Stormie wrote:
So if I replace the wood stock with a AR-15 type folder adjustable then I have to change out nine more parts?

That is the current, "popular" interpretation. Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:27 am 
Business Member

No need to swap nine parts.. I think count on them is 15 or 16, your goal is 10 or less.. Two in the stock and pistol grip, three in the trigger pack and three in the magazine.
The rest of the parts are receiver, trunion, barrel, bolt, bolt carrier, oprod*, piston, forearm..

I honestly think the oprod does not exist in a vepr. And MOST ATF letters say that.. If you read what an oprod is then you can see clearly the vepr does not have one.

So lets say your gun has 15 parts as imported, change out the stock and grip to US made and you are at 13.. Use US magazines and you are at 10.. Or change the trigger pack to US made and use imported magazines, if you want to run an imported muzzle device, swap the imported floorplates or the piston puck..

Or remember that no one is checking this crap and stop worrying about it..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:09 pm 

You could always engrave U.S. on all the parts lol. They would have to have metallurgical testing done to prove anything, if it is even possible to prove. Im not convinced that so called "ballistic forensics" is even real, its more likely a psychological detterent. Can they really tell one barrel from the very next barrel produced on a assembly line pumping out tens of thousands or more barrel's? And with 100% certainty and confidence, that they will destroy someones life and imprison them? Give me a break. Even the factory fired casings that come with handguns..what if you replace the firing pin? What if you replace it multiple times? What if you replace it and now it "matches" the "signature" of another firearm that was used in a crime?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:30 pm 

I was curious so I looked it up.

Source: http://trac.syr.edu/tracreports/crim/492/

There have been 4 prosecutions under 922r since 2008. That's as far back as the source reference bothers to go.

Two were in 2014, and two in 2017. So they do happen... but it's more like a statistical anomaly than a meaningful risk. Obviously no one in law enforcement goes out looking for 922r compliance. It's incredibly time consuming and difficult to prove. I don't think the FBI and federal prosecutors (nor BATFE) take 922r very seriously. It's much more likely 922r is used like an "add-on" charge for other, more serious gun crimes, to build up a case for prosecution.

But of course I would never encourage anyone to break the law. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:22 pm 

Data wrote:
I was curious so I looked it up.

Source: http://trac.syr.edu/tracreports/crim/492/

There have been 4 prosecutions under 922r since 2008. That's as far back as the source reference bothers to go.

Two were in 2014, and two in 2017. So they do happen... but it's more like a statistical anomaly than a meaningful risk. Obviously no one in law enforcement goes out looking for 922r compliance. It's incredibly time consuming and difficult to prove. I don't think the FBI and federal prosecutors (nor BATFE) take 922r very seriously. It's much more likely 922r is used like an "add-on" charge for other, more serious gun crimes, to build up a case for prosecution.

But of course I would never encourage anyone to break the law. :roll:

Too bad theres no like button, nice research.

Definitely an "add on charge", cheap shot. The "people" who dreamt up and enforce 922r should be ashamed of themselves. Its disgusting. Seriously, if a part is stamped/ engraved "U.S." short of a metallurgist's examination and testing (skeptical even then) how could they possibly prove anything without a doubt? What if you bought a part stamped "U.S." from a vendor, and it turns out the steel was sourced overseas? Does the vendor machining it in the U.S. make it alright? Does putting a stock on a V-12 make you a "manufacturer"?

The whole thing is a sick joke and a scam that unfortunately has the ability to destroy good peoples lives.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:37 am 
Business Member

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.