THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: VEPR 12 action sticks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:48 pm 

Hello,
I'm new to the forum...the topic New Vepr owners - "READ THIS FIRST" got me hooked and following the steps. I'm also new to the VEPR 12 and want to learn as much as I can. It looks like i'm in the right place.

while cycling (with factory 5 rnd magazine removed) my new VEPR 12 the recommended 100-300 times I noticed that the bolt/action would stick (not close, stay in the open position, not go into battery, etc) unless I pushed in on the button that opens the dust cover. I know that the bolt holds open when the magazine is in, but that is not what is happening. Now, after a few hundred cycles under its belt the "sticking" is not as bad, but it still happens. Only I don't need to push the dust cover opening button to get it to close, instead I just rotate the VEPR to a horizontal position and "BAM" bolt closes. To do the original 100-300 cycling of the action I placed the VEPR 12 in a vertical position with the butt stock on the ground, my leg, my shoulder, the couch, or whatever I could find to brace it. I kept moving it due to the shear mundane process of cycling the action 300 times, just to keep it interesting.

Any Ideas what's going on? I plan on taking it to the range today start the AMMO drill as recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:24 pm 

How did it do at the range today? What kind of loads you run in it? Any malfunction?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:51 pm 

Welcome! You’re at the right place. A lot of great expertise on this sight. The biggest mistake most new owners make it to start to change parts before taking the gun to the range. Shoot her with different loads and see how she performs. One of mine ate everything out to the box and one needed just some polishing to rails and trigger group. Re-post after a range trip and tell us how she performed. We’ll be able to give you better advice then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:18 am 

Range Trip Results:
Test Round #1 - Rifled Slugs
Mfg-Winchester superX
Vel-1600fps
1 oz rifled slug
10 rounds 100% cycled

Test Round #2 - 00 buckshot
Mfg-Federal
Vel-1325fps
9 pellets of 00 buckshot
15 rounds 100% cycled

Test Round #3 - Game Load
Mfg-Winchester superX
Vel-1290fps
1 oz #8shot
10 rounds 100% cycled

Test Round #4 - Target Load
Mfg-Winchester AA Lite Handicap Target Load
Vel-1290fps
1 oz #8shot
15 rounds 100% cycled

Time was a constraint today at the range so I didn’t get to give the gun a real hard workout. But with 50 rounds down range with ammo that is expected to cycle 100%, it did just that.
Had a little trouble with the bolt release button not wanting to close when depressed, just fussed with it a little bit a few times and it does eventually close. I’ll keep an eye on that. I’ll probably hit the range next weekend (time permiting) and finish off the half-full boxes of ammo and try to pick up some 3.0 DR EQ rated ammo and see how that cycles along with some 2 3/4 DR EQ ammo just to test the lower limits.

I would love to dress this thing up but not sure when or where to start. I really like the dissident arms version they put out there...very colorful, unique, etc. I believe I read on this site to make the changes one at a time and test for cycling issues before moving to the next add on.

Should I clean this gun and oil or just wait until I’m satisfied with the cycling and know what ammo works and what doesn’t?

Thanks for all your help!

What I’d like to do:
Left side charging handle (can you keep the one on the right or is this not recommended and just stupid
Muzzle brake
Paint or have painted parts to make the gun “POP” visually (just the plain Jane version turned some heads today at the range, might have been the “BOOM” the VEPR12 was making, too.
Rail-M-Lock style
Magazine eject
Maybe modify the bolt clambering button to function better
But, I think this will cause me to be compliant with 922...
Should this be under a new post?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:32 am 

Sounds like your V12 is fine. IMO I would just keep feeding it range time for a while and see how it functions.The AK platform has some nice perks. They don't need oil to function properly and rarely need maintenance. Range time alone will usually break everything in and smooth out the internals and sticky parts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:37 pm 

I agree with Mike. Just keep braking her in at the range. She sounds solid. More range usually works out any additional quirks. If you want to make her look more cool with some external work great. If you start messing with the internals be prepared for some glitches. Also be careful,where you place an optic if you decide to add one. Vepr’s can become finicky with ejection problems. Just one other thing. Decide what you are going to be using her for before you add every dodad. When I get my first AR years ago I think I spent more on dodads than the Gun. Probably would have put on a cup holder if they had one. Go to YouTube and search for Vepr all Day. Great series of videos by one of the forum members who really knows his shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:34 am 

Thanks Mike and Oleg. I wondered about the oiling part and glad to hear that she'll run with out a lot of slippery stuff. I will continue to put her to the test and let you know how she's doing.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 am 

Almost forgot, I did see some of VEPR All Day's you tube videos. Thanks for the tip.