THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:03 am 

I was wondering what I could do to help my Vepr-12 handle heavy loads a bit easier with no regard on running birdshot. I would like to stay away from things that require gunsmithing if at all possible.

I have heard a bit on heavier recoil springs but I have a couple questions (not to mention I cant find any for the Vepr12);
Would getting a stiffer recoil spring actually help?
If so, would it peen the front trunnion from the carrier slamming into it a bit harder?

Also, would a heavier gas puck help any, if there are any?

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:00 pm 

They will kick with heavier loads. Make sure you get that stock tucked in properly. I don't think the spring or gas puck will help.There is a small chance your shotgun could be over gassed a little. Recoil pads will help. I love shooting 3" shells through mine but it will catch up with you a little. Ha ha ha.I have used a Kicklite stock on several Saigas and Veprs with awesome recoil reduction results.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:31 am 

Commie Mike wrote:
They will kick with heavier loads. Make sure you get that stock tucked in properly. I don't think the spring or gas puck will help.There is a small chance your shotgun could be over gassed a little. Recoil pads will help. I love shooting 3" shells through mine but it will catch up with you a little. Ha ha ha.I have used a Kicklite stock on several Saigas and Veprs with awesome recoil reduction results.

I have one of those AK-100 style recoil pads for it and that helps! Honestly Im more worried about damaging any of the internals as I've heard of the operating rod/bolt carrier getting cracked especially where the rod has those divots. Is there anything I can do to prevent any of these problems?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:33 pm 

I sent a friend of mine a message. Hopefully you will get the answers you need soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:28 am 

Cool deal, thank you! I dont have a working inbox quite yet, just as a heads up if they are going to do a private message

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:41 pm 

They will post reply here on this page.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:46 am 

Evl may have more suggestions.

A vectoring muzzle brake like the Russian version GK series helps a lot with felt recoil and muzzle rise. Aside from that, an AR adapter with a GL Shock Stock OR hydraulic buffer tube can help. Don't use both together. A sorbothane recoil pad is great too. A stiffer spring set can help a little and protect the weapon from over-gassing. 17 pound 1911 springs are close to factory. Maybe go up a few pounds each.

Aside from that, you could have a gas port welded up.

Make sure to look up the Evlblkwpnz video on stance and supporting the weapon. Following his instructions helps the shooter "own" the weapon and not let it dominate them.

https://youtu.be/17s9wLi1gDk

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:47 am 

May I ask why you are wanting to shoot such high recoil shells?

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:40 am 

Nephilim7 wrote:
Evl may have more suggestions.

A vectoring muzzle brake like the Russian version GK series helps a lot with felt recoil and muzzle rise. Aside from that, an AR adapter with a GL Shock Stock OR hydraulic buffer tube can help. Don't use both together. A sorbothane recoil pad is great too. A stiffer spring set can help a little and protect the weapon from over-gassing. 17 pound 1911 springs are close to factory. Maybe go up a few pounds each.

Aside from that, you could have a gas port welded up.

Make sure to look up the Evlblkwpnz video on stance and supporting the weapon. Following his instructions helps the shooter "own" the weapon and not let it dominate them.

Yep! I am totally getting a GK series muzzlebrake, heard too much good about them! I purchased an AK-100 style recoil pad for the Vepr, it made a heck of difference and doesnt look too out of place, which is nice. I may consider getting some 1911 springs, perhaps 20lb, especially since they are so cheap, is there any sort of modding I need to do to get them to work? Also, will they damage the gun by having the carrier slam into the trunnion any? I most likely wont get the ports welded up, but I have considered it. I like that video, I've always leaned into guns and had a solid stance but I never stood perpendicular to the gun, I'll have to give that a try!

As for why, I honestly dont have a super good reason outside of having the gun not beat itself up too much when I really want to destroy stuff with slugs or buckshot... and I love slugs and buckshot haha. I have shot over 400 rounds of S&B 00 buck and I've noticed a bit of damage on the FCG, and a bit of contact on the rear trunnion. Its honestly nothing all that crazy but its still something I'd like to stop from progressing especially since these guns arent so easy to get anymore.

Thank you so much for your input! You've given me a lot to try out =)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:48 pm 

GK01 are awesome brakes.