THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 10:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:36 am 

Long story short. Duck season has started here and we are required to use steel shot. Pretty much all steel shot is loaded hot and im wanting to use the 3" stuff.

My gun is set up for racing, the previous owner had the gas ports drilled and he played with the spring weights. The result is a gun that fires 1200fps 28gram loads while being held out in front of the shooter (no support to the firearm) and continues to cycle without malfunction.

Dilemma: I know the rear spring is factory but the front one is either 16lb or 14lb (previous owner cant remember). Nobody in this country has any 18lb 1911 recoil springs for sale (to the best of my knowledge 18lb springs are factory for the vepr??). I can get pretty much any spring weight from 7lb to 14lb and have also come across a lone 24lb spring.

Idea: Can i assume that two 18lb springs when used together equate to a combined poundage of 36lbs? And by using this theory can i then run a 24lb and a 12lb spring together and end up with the same results as using two 18lb springs?

So basicaly im trying to save the gun from a battering while using hot steel loads, but does anybody see any negatives to the way i am approaching this?

When i go back to racing im contemplating running a 24lb and maybe a 16lb together to see if i can get it to fail and also see what, if any impact i can get with recoil impulse as i fine tune it back down through the spring weights.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:50 pm 

best idea is to get a new oem gas puc and get new full power recoil springs, and get a new full power hammer spring. this should minimize any wear on the weapons internals. if i recall correctly the weapon was designed to safely shoot hot 3inch turkey loads with this setup.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:28 am 

But i dont have access to these sorts of parts, if i lived in Russia i would, or if i lived in the us then somebody would have an equivilent. You take what you can get around here, and you make it work for you, thats a kiwi thing.

I could order from overseas all of what youve suggested but im still paying close to a hundred bucks just for the shipping with the shit NZ dollar. The guns not worn out, im just trying to minimize the wear as best i can with what i have on hand.

If two factory 18lb springs equate to 36lb of force when combined together in unison, will 2 springs of any rate (as long as the combined rate equals 36lb) react in the same way?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:39 pm 

I'm not a spring technician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.....nevermind it was Motel 6. (Probably a US only joke.)

Anyhow, I'd say yes to your question about rates. There is a little more to it, such as what point in compression does that spring reach 18 lbs etc, fancy math stuff. But these aren't rockets, so rocket science doesn't really need to apply. If you're worried about beating up your rifle, possibly just cut a heavy piece of leather for a recoil buffer, and start testing springs.

The buffer could also hinder operation, but if you have a buffer on there, and go too light with the springs, you will see a heavier mark on the leather, and can rule that setup out, before going into no buffer testing. Guess it would all depend on how detailed you wanna go.

I mean like, worst case 0.1% scenario, some freak out of this world catastrophic malfunction happens, and you blow the rifle up, possibly injuring yourself.

But in reality, 99.9% of the time, the rifle is either gonna work nice, work a little too hard, or not cycle at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:05 pm 
Business Member

Spring rates don't work like you are thinking they do. For 3" loads in a gun that has had gas port surface increase, I recommend getting (2) 22lb 1911 springs.

With port surface area already increased, assuming you go with (2) 20lb springs or less, you need to find a way to lose gas at the puck or it is not going to be a great shooting experience with 3" loads. It may make more sense to grab another shotgun for hunting with 3" loads.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:45 pm 

Spring rates can be summed by adding them together if the springs are ran in parallel (ie one inside the other), however, you are oversimplifying things quite a bit.

In series you will be creating a variable rate spring.

Also something to consider besides rate is free length, so where you start you compression will determine your load at the installed/full travel position.

I'm an eng at a spring factory, so I know this topic pretty well lol. For all AK advice, I would listen go evl.

Good luck!