THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 10:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:25 am 

Like the title says, I’ve tried almost everything and not sure what else to do..(fte-fail to eject)

I’ve had my side folding vepr 12 for several years now. Immediately polished bcg, still had fte. Tried both Factory 5 mag, sgm 12 mag with high and low brass, still had fte. Though that was the way it was gonna be so I lived with it. Recently been on a kick to resolve the issues with it. We opened the gas ports up slightly, I don’t remember the bit size but it wasn’t anything drastic maybe another 1/16th or so. Still fte problems. Got a factory 8 round mag for my birthday and the gun ran flawless until this past weekend. I had the bikini for my holosun testing at the base of the dot and the gun fte every round.. I removed the bikini and the gun ran better for a mag or so then I had one-two fte.. Stumbled upon a video stating optics over ejection port could cause an issue, so I’ve relocated it to the rear. Now I’m considering reprofiling the hammer.

Any more ideas that could improve the reliability?

By the way most the time the ammo I run is the federal bulk 100rd pack 3 dram 7 1/2 or 8 shot. Sometimes I attempt high brass buck shot and it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:41 pm 

So today I polished the hammer and lightly smoothed the paint off the top of the hook on the trigger. Reassembled everything and hand cycled several times and dry fired it several times. Felt smoother than before. Also the red dot was relocated behind the ejection port like stated previously.

25 federal bulk pack 3 dram 1 1/8 8 shot- no fte
5 spartan low recoil 00 buck shot 9 shot- no fte
Mixed mag of 6 bird shot and 2 “military buck shot”- no fte

Will feel better when I have a few hundred through it with no fte.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:11 am 

Hello, sorry to hear that you have problems.

It seems to me from reading on different forums that optics over the ejection port is a general no-no and can lead to FTE's but you already saw that. Did you experience improvements after moving the optics to the rear?

I have noticed that my Vepr is kind of sensitive to different brands of ammo. Here in Sweden Federal is not available so I have tried Fiocchi F3, Saga 28 & 32g, Sellier&Bellot 31g (all birdshot). S&B won't feed at all, I get stoppages every other round while I have never experienced any real problems with Saga ammo. Same with slug, I have never had a stoppage with Geco slug or buck while S&B won't hardly feed at all.

These brands might not be available to you but my point is maybe you should try different brands to see if you experience any difference.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:05 am 

If you havent already put all the stock parts back on, including the FCG, and run it like that. It should run without any mods to the original hammer on original mags. You already opened the gas ports, so now remove the optic or sit it further back. Shit my vepr 12 runs everything except that federal red white and blue stuff and thats without any polishing or mods AND its missing the top cover. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:22 pm 

Running it without optic should be the first step. Eliminate that before modding anything.