THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Threaded chokes
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:09 pm 

How do you guys secure your threaded chokes to your shotguns without the muzzle brake causing them to rotate loose?

Are you guys using locktite (thread locker) or lots of Teflon tape or???

I put mine on there and used the muzzle brake and lock nut to get extra leverage and got that thing on pretty tight, but after about 20 rounds the muzzle brake causes it to rotate loose and cause the brake to be sideways/ crooked due to the choke loosening up.

I don't want the choke permanently mounted and never able to come off again...so Just wondering what you guys have done to solve this issue...

Also the SGM choke I have does not have any notches on it to put a wrench on it...

Post subject: Re: Threaded chokes
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:57 pm 

hey bro. i think i can help you. i have 2 external chokes, 0.5 and a 1.0 molot external chokes attached to my gk-03 and gk-03++ muzzle brakes. all i do is clean threads, thread on external choke first, torque nice and hard, install locking nut, install muzzle brake, make sure its all indexed good, torque again. its good to have someone to secure the barrel from moving if you do not have a gun vice. here is a link to my new alternative youtube channel. youtube in their not so good wisdom is currently removing channels due to policy violations, all gun channels will be removed as per youtube's updated no firearms policy . i am i the process of copying and transferring all of my weapon related videos.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:13 pm 

sksguy1 wrote:
hey bro. i think i can help you. i have 2 external chokes, 0.5 and a 1.0 molot external chokes attached to my gk-03 and gk-03++ muzzle brakes. all i do is clean threads, thread on external choke first, torque nice and hard, install locking nut, install muzzle brake, make sure its all indexed good, torque again. its good to have someone to secure the barrel from moving if you do not have a gun vice. here is a link to my new alternative youtube channel. youtube in their not so good wisdom is currently removing channels due to policy violations, all gun channels will be removed as per youtube's updated no firearms policy . i am i the process of copying and transferring all of my weapon related videos.

I have the SGM tactical modified choke and the problem is: it does not have notches in it for a wrench to go on it...it's just knurled for tightening with your fingers... best I can do I guess is lock the brake onto it and put a wrench on the brake to torque it down.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:24 pm 

This is what you want. https://smile.amazon.com/Flexbar-15014-High-Temperature-Rocksett/dp/B001C1D800/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1522178600&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=rockset

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:06 am 
Business Member

File some flats on it on opposing sides.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:06 am 

Ground flats is the way I'd go.

That said, Rocksett is a fantastic product. It is uniquely qualified to secure muzzle attachments. Perfect on rifle brakes and flash hiders. Crazy, liquid ceramic... Cool stuff

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:28 am 

so far I ended up doing my idea and it's been holding thus far... with the lock nut set against the brake I put a big wrench on the brake and cranked that choke tube tight... then backed the nut off and straightened out the brake and re-locked the brake in place. Seems to be holding...put 100 rounds through it trap shooting the other day and it stayed straight.

Thanks for the ideas guys. not sure about that cement stuff...I do want it to be able to come back off again...cause chokes + steel shot or slugs = not really ideal. but for right now doing a lot of trap so really only running bird shot through it for clay busting which requires the choke to reach out and touch those clays at 50+ yards out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:08 pm 

Glad you have it worked out! 8-)

Rockset is about as strong as blue loctite. It is just enough to hold a clocked brake. Withstands muzzle temperatures (not much else does). Weakens if soaked overnight in water. Comes right off with a wrench, and stays put otherwise. One bottle will last you forever.

Cool stuff. As it starts to set, it creates spiderweb-like strands of ceramic. I do not know of anything better for nonpermanent securement of a muzzle brake.

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:05 pm 

Are the chokes threaded to the barrel or the muzzle brake? I was thinking of having the barrel setup for internal threaded chokes. Waiting on the gun to get here so I can get it setup for 3 gun. I will need the option of changing chokes depending on the way the stages are set.