THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:56 am 

I'm researching for a left-hand folding stock that will allow side-rail optics to be mounted/unmounted when the stock is in fully-extended position. One buyer of the Bonesteel/CNCWarrior folding stock said they could not attach/detach optics because of the hump of the folding stock.

Is there a left-hand folding stock available today that will allow side-rail mounted optics to be mounted/demounted when fully extended? The ideal folding stock would have a sling swivel close to the receiver.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:43 am 

There is one option maybe but its kind of a hail mary. Krebs used to make a slant cut to ACE style adapter that did not require cutting the tang. The result is it pushes the hinge on your folder back another inch, possibly leaving room to clear a mount. I will put the link below but they are out of stock and Krebs doesnt have them on their site anymore. Cant swear this would work but it might if you found a mount that was short enough. . You would need this adapter and then the ACE style folding adapter and compatible stock.

https://www.legionusa.com/vepr-rifle-bu ... ustom.html

Here is a photo of a vepr with this adapter installed along with a folding mechanism and then a M4 adapter. You can see the hinge is further back and there is a lot more room.

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/wp-conten ... -cover.jpg

Again, cant swear it would work but it looks hopeful, there is one for sale used on gunbroker right now.

Offhand cant think of any aftermarket left side folders for AK or Vepr that dont have a hinge sticking out. I think your only options are to install a railed mount and leave it on with QD scope rings or go with a right handed folder. I know arsenal makes a railed mount one with a relief cut so you can still use your irons.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with better news than me but I think you are going to run into that problem with most left side folders for the Vepr.

I have a CNC right side folder and I was just eyeballing it to see if some of the mounts i was looking at would fit on a left folder and it looks pretty doubtful. Suppose its possible there is a mount that is short enough to clear the hinge but just eyeballing it I dont think so.

Here are a couple pics of mine. (still need to change that pistol grip, not a fan of that one but it works for now)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:47 pm 

Wow -- that's some nice hardware - both yours and the Vepr for sale.

I'm guessing cutting the tang off is not somewhere the owner wants to go. Maybe this will work:

https://krebscustomak47.com/product-cat ... ck-adapter

It doesn't fold - but - hey .... sometimes you just don't get everything your way.

What M4 stock would have the best utility for the dollar? What optics would you recommend in the sub-$100, sub-200 and sub $300 range?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:16 pm 

I do not like cutting the tang either.

I hate to give you a vague and somewhat BS answer here but there are so many M4 stocks out there its really personal preference, you just have to check them out. Magpul is going to have decent stuff for the money.

waiting for these to come back into stock, id like to try one out. https://www.circle10ak.com/product/circ ... back-vepr/

Really dont know much about optics. I have that POSP in the photo and a couple of other cheap scopes that I have not really messed with too much. I do like the Burris fastfire red dot though. Again there are so many options its hard to make a recommendation especially since my knowledge is pretty limited there.

A word of caution on the item you linked from Krebs, when installed the M4 stock will sit a little higher than a AK stock would and depending on the size and shape of your melon some people have trouble using the iron sights. I used to have one installed on my Vepr but I could only use the irons with the stock in its longest position.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:19 pm 

kar120c wrote:
A word of caution on the item you linked from Krebs, when installed the M4 stock will sit a little higher than a AK stock would and depending on the size and shape of your melon some people have trouble using the iron sights. I used to have one installed on my Vepr but I could only use the irons with the stock in its longest position.

Good to know .... thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 pm 

I have purchased a molot vepr 12 with a slant cut Keyhole Walnut stock and replaced it with a left folding bonesteel warrior with a Fab defense recoil absorbing stock and have a Vortex AMG Huey mounted on the top pic rail it's a great setup. I much prefer it to the century AK 47 c39 V2 with a red Army standard side mount. Side mount suck anyway there like an afterthought oops I forgot something.. I got everything through Carolina Shooters Supply who has many different options for putting rails M Lok keymod Etc all over the weapon