THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:12 pm 

Hi there this is my first post on this forum and im hoping someone can help me a bit. Yesterday I recieved my first 2 vepr rifles one a 54r and the other a vepr 1v-e in 556 and well this 556 one I got came with a 30 round promag. Now my problem is that neither the promag that came with it not any other mag I have for my saiga 223 I used to own fit in there? It seems that the front of the magwell isn't wide enough I wanna file a bit off but before I do that I'd just like to know if anyone here has done it?? Thanks in advanced :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:48 pm 

I'd mod the mags, not the gun... :shock:

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:41 pm 

Someone please correct me if I am wrong here, but it is my understanding that there are actually two different types of 223 mags for the AK platforms.

There are Galil type mags and AK-74 type mags. The galil style being a bit wider and requiring fitting. I believe this is due to galil using modified ak 47 receivers.

Bulgarian 223 mags 'should' fit with no mods. I do own a vepr in 223 but I havent gotten around to messing with it yet, still has firewood tech stock.

As neph said, mod the mags, not the gun. Do your stock 5 and 10 round vepr mags fit well?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:05 pm 

Asked Legion if Circle 10 223 mags will work in the 1VE and they said no.

I'd just shave the promag to fit if it's not too much. /sct

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:51 pm 

Oh the 1v-e, I saw you wrote that but it didnt register that is the new line of Veprs, they have a different receiver. I am unsure what magazines would work. I am curious to know why bulgarian magazines would not work. It is difficult to believe the only viable option for these is going to be sgm. SGM makes some decent products, but a fan of their magazines I am not.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:54 am 

Yes, I have had one professionally widened at the front on a RA import .223 Vepr and the 2nd one I did myself .The goal at the time was to fit high quality Weiger mags.
It worked out well on both rifles and did not require a lot of material to be removed.
Hope this helps.......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:10 am 

If I had an AK in 5.56/.223 then I would HAVE to convert it to use STANAG AR15 magazines. I may some day go that route with AR10 magazines for my .308 VEPR Hunter...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:46 pm 

I ended up widening what I think is the front trunnion a little bit as well as messed with the weiger mags a little and that thing is tight but it latches in there. I also bought a circle 10 afterwards and that thing pops in there perfectly it clicks in no side movements I haven't had a chance to test fire it but ill let y'all know how it goes. I feel like if I did a stanag conversion it would kind of mess with the authenticity of the rifle I also just bought a m85np pistol so that takes all the ar mags I already had although I wouldn't mind doing it to my saiga 308 but the definitive arms website is bs are they still in business or what?