THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: vepr sport conversion
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:50 pm 

So I started with a VEPR12, loved the gun and started to get interested in a rifle to match it. After doing a bit of searching I initially decided to go with the new VEPR FM-ak4-11, but after thinking about it I don’t think it is the best option for me. I love tinkering with my firearms and feel I would get more enjoyment and end up paying less (or the same) by buying the sporter version with thumbhole stock and modifying it to accept surplus mags, pistol grip, and normal AKM furniture (with mods of course). Before I make the purchase, I wanted to ask a couple questions to make sure I am not missing something. I tried searching but feel that I am missing part of the appropriate terminology needed to do a proper search. Here is what I am wanting to confirm:

1 – The following mods are going to be needed to “convert” the rifle – bulled guide addition to trunnion, AKM mag release or modify stock release, slant back adapter plate for stock, pistol grip addition to receiver, low profile gas tube, bolt on AKM lower retainer for VEPR rifles. With this I should have everything covered to use any mag I want for a standard AK and accept any AKM furniture (with mild mods due to the heavier barrel or smaller receiver hole), am I correct or am I missing something?

2 – for the pistol grip, do I just need the grip nut and screw, or do I also need to cut a hole (I’m sure I’ll be apparent when I remove the stock, but helps to know before hand), and I am heavily considering the Hogue grip which I remember reading “extends” farther forward and may need modification, any insight there? And is the VEPR one that needs a reinforcement plate for the grip?

3 – is there anything else I need to take into consideration before I make a purchase?

FYI the reason I wanted to go this route is mainly to do the converting work myself to help learn about the rifle, but secondly of the items I’m going to be replacing anyhow: stock, handguard, trigger group, grip, magazines, brake. It didn’t make sense to me to get the FM11 for 1k++ when I’m going to replace the items that came different on it already. In my mind the only benefit would be the square back, and the already added bullet guide, which does not seem to be worth ~300 dollars in my mind. Any insight to my potential project is welcomed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:58 pm 

It looks like you have it covered. There is already a hole for the PG screw. Just make sure you get proper screw for the PG you go with. The Vepr thumbhole screws are a little shorter than a standard AKM PG. Have fun with your project!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:09 pm 

Woot, just ordered my gun! any insight on the PG plate, guessing it is not needed? Looking forward to another AK.... If this goes well I'm highly debating buying the tools needed to start building my own O.O

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:15 am 

I think the PG plate will work with any grip as long as you have the proper screw for that PG.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:01 am 

regarding magazines, I know I can't use AKM mags till I do the conversion, but that'll be nearly immediate. I read somewhere that the Yugo AKs were different or something. are the mags also different, or are they GTG for the standard AK platform?

with ammo, I'm deciding between red army standard and wolf polyformance fmj any issue?

last, I was planning on giving it the same initiation I did the VEPR 12, polish all the rails and carrier channels, potentially the hammer face as well. This ok on the AKM?

Current shopping list:
Krebs slant adapter
bullet guide
mag catch replacement
gas tube
lower retainer
new hand guard
hogue grip
magazines
ammo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:32 pm 

You can get some AK builds that might be finicky with mags. In most cases mags will fit most AKS in general. The Yugos lock mags io pretty tight normally. They take the same mags. Different tolerances in mags and rifles. Normally if they lock up they will function. Any AK ammo will run fine. Some are dirtier than others but makes no difference since AKS can run dirty. You really don't need to polish anything in an AK47. It will polish itself with use.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:34 pm 

I am trying to plan my purchases out for the rifle, Mind giving some thoughts to the order of my purchases of what makes the most sense?

1 - gun *done, just waiting*
2 - Magazines *purchased 4 Korean ones, going to get some BHO yugos, and waiting for a bakelite or two*
3 - ammo *looking into wolf polyformance or military, just enough to get going, maybe 200?*

Waiting on the gun to arrive to purchase
4 - Bullet guide *need to know flat or round, I want my new mags to work*
5 - enhanced mag release *need this too if I don't want to file the stock one*

with this the MAJOR items are done, then for getting the rifle where I want it is were I could use some help
Optics and mount (I know what I am after)
bulk ammo purchase
foregrip
pistol grip, slant adapter, buffer tube, retainer, castle nut, Magpul STR stock
muzzle brake
ALG trigger
flesh out the rest of my mags
ammo cans for storage

Thoughts?