THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: 922r clarification
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:39 am 

Brand new to this site, and darn glad to have found it. I'm planning to buy a Vepr 7.62x39 with the Wood, Thumbhole Stock when I can track one down. Love the look, feel, polish and reviews I've seen for it. I run a couple lower-end AKs and like the idea of having a more polished AK too.

But the 922r stuff confuses me a lot, and I've been all over the Web trying to figure out how the 7.62x39s are specifically affected by it. I found a lot more info about the Vepr-12 than the rifles. Please pardon my newb questions...

1 - The 7.6x30 comes with 1 5-round and 1 10-round magazine. How is it OK to use the 10 rounder if sporting use only allows 5-round magazines (which I read somewhere)? Can I actually use the OEM 10 rounder and not violate 922r?

2 - Would it be 922r-legal to use an even larger capacity U.S.-made magazine like the SGM Tactical 30-rounder if I don't make any changes at all to the gun?

3 - I love the look and feel of the wood and of the thumbhole stock, so I don't want to replace the stock or pistol grip or forend in pursuit of 922r. So what other parts would be the advisable ones to change out to reach 922r compliance so I can use regular AK mags? (Maybe 2 cases: 1) which 3 parts so I can use U.S. AK mags, and 2) which 6 parts so I can use imported AK mags?)

I've checked out the CSS and K-Var sites - so I know where to find the parts. Just not obvious which ones to plan to use for 922r.

Hopefully these are basic questions for folks who have been around Veprs a while. I suspect the answers to these questions will help it all fall into place for me.

Thanks very much!

Fourth question, unrelated to 922r -- Do Veprs shoot steel-case ammo alright, like Wolf or Brown Bear? Guessing yes but not certain.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:07 am 

Hi and Welcome to the site!!

The link in the first post of this thread is your guide. While it mentions Saiga, the Vepr x39 is pretty much the same in it's imported configuration.

1. Mag capacity for sporting use is dependent on where you live and your particular state's laws. Many states can have mags and drums of any capacity for sporting. For Hunting, that's another story and also state law-dependent.

2. And yes, using the 30-round SGM mag does not trigger 922r as it is not an "AK" mag - it is for the Vepr sporting rifle only. And they work great too! I bought a Vepr x39 to convert but loved the OEM config so much, I left it as is and just use the SGM mags.

3. As the rifle sits, there are 14 foreign parts. You only have to replace 4 of them with US-made parts. If you want to keep the factory furniture, I would suggest replacing the trigger group which is 3 parts (Trigger, Hammer, Disconnector). Then replace the gas piston (1 part) and you're good to go with any mag you want to use. (don't forget to install a bullet guide for the AK mags.) You can get a gas piston for $15.40 at Carolina Shooters Supply (good folks to deal with).

As the rifle sits, the pinned thread cap is permanent enough to NOT make the thread protector a "muzzle device" and keep the rifle at 14 parts total. But as soon as you remove the pin (and you can take the thread protector off), it then DOES count as a foreign part and the total number jumps up to 15 foreign parts. Then you would have to put a US-made muzzle brake to get it back to 14 parts. ...that is why I suggested replacing the gas piston above. Adding a US-made muzzle brake does nothing to help you (but adding a foreign made muzzle brake makes it harder).

I hope this helps?

**PS - I am not a lawyer!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:56 am 

mtk wrote:

1 - The 7.6x30 comes with 1 5-round and 1 10-round magazine. How is it OK to use the 10 rounder if sporting use only allows 5-round magazines (which I read somewhere)? Can I actually use the OEM 10 rounder and not violate 922r?

2 - Would it be 922r-legal to use an even larger capacity U.S.-made magazine like the SGM Tactical 30-rounder if I don't make any changes at all to the gun?

Fourth question, unrelated to 922r -- Do Veprs shoot steel-case ammo alright, like Wolf or Brown Bear? Guessing yes but not certain.

I think you are spot on with regards to the mag size: for hunting, a 5rd mag is pretty standard in a lot of states for max size. That doesn't mean your not free to use a 10, 15, 20 or even a 30 round mag for general sporting use,(Target, competition, whatever, I believe ,(but not an expert by any means) hunting is the only thing that restricts mag size and obviously some comp rules too. But as previously stated; check your local state laws. MI allows only six rounds total, 5 in the mag, 1 in the barrel for hunting. 3 for shotgun and must have a plug
Yes the veprs will shoot the the steel ammo but I've heard a lot of people say they shorten barrel life, not sure how, unless they're referring to steel jacketed bullets but just passing along what I've read. Im a big fan a federal, tula and ZQI(though I've only found nato x51), I'm lucky enough to have a couple cases of x39 lapua that rocks. I've heard a lot of guys like that golden bear, let us know what you find out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:27 am 

mtk wrote:

Sorry forgot to respond to this one too... Yes, steel cases are fine and the norm. These things really beat up brass cases. There are ways to minimize it if you want to reload. But no problem with steel cases (or whatever coating is on them - lacq, poly, brass, copper, zinc - it's all good). These are Russian guns and Russia makes mostly steel-cased ammo - so you're good to go. Veprs eat whatever you feed them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:58 am 

This is super helpful advice. I bought a couple of 7.62x39s in the wood sporting style. Just arrived yesterday. I'm planning to 922r one of them, and keep the other in original sporting configuration, using the OEM mags.

Thanks. Looking forward to learning a lot from you all.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:37 am 

Great rifles. The SGM mags worked real well in my sporter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:32 am 

ZERO issues using steel case in any AK.