THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:13 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:49 pm 

most of veprs rifles are great, but once in while you get melon. Actually on my Vepr 6.5 grendal the recoil spring guide broke, I was really surprised and I have like 9 vepr of different calibers and one this happened too. But gunsmith swapped from vepr 7.62x39 and it worked fine. I had to order eastern german one and it for my vepr 7.62x39 to replaced and in end worked out fine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:01 pm 

I got a call from FIME today.
They say they've been experimenting hard with ammo brands etc etc, both shooting and just chambering it.
Apparently it NEVER happens with brass cased ammo, and they're confident that it's the lacquer coating causing the problem. Apparently it causes a lot more friction between cartridges than bare brass cases. I guess the way the cartridges scrape so hard against eachother, especially in a full mag, causes the front to be pulled a bit downward and out of line with the chamber vs anything brass.
I think they're going to try to lengthen my feed ramp a bit more since it's so close to hitting the chamber correctly. Currently, it's like half of the bullet tip hits raw chamber wall instead of the ramp and gets flung upward instead of inward.
Also, they're going to get back to me about doing an upgrade to the 23" gun, I'll see what happens.

Last edited by deek57 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:48 pm 

I shoot only WPA 6.5 Grendel steel rounds and have no issue yet. I haven't shot for awhile, so I will monitor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:04 am 

So I was finally able to shoot my Vepr again today. And I managed to get a little slowmo video of a round stove piping. But even better I found that I'm only getting trouble from one of my mags. Mine are numbered with a 1 or a 2 in little circles at the top of the mags. Turns out mag number 2 is rock solid and I have zero issues with it. Mag number one just doesn't seem to have enough spring tension or something to keep the rounds nice and tight and seated correctly. So I have some sort of an issue overtime I load up mag number 1, but no problems at all with number 2. And I shot Wolf exclusively. Deek57, do you recall if your mags had similar numbers marked on them? Have you gotten your rifle back yet? If so, how's it shooting now?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:08 am 

I've got it back, not much they can do for me apparently. They still think it's an ammo issue, specifically the case coating. They say that they cannot recreate the result with anything brass cased. They're really convinced that the lacquer coating on wolf gives it a bit more friction and is causing the issue. Either way, I've got a similar situation where one mag seems to have ceased having issue after using it more, and one still does when full. I've been hesitant to post again until I put quite a few more rounds downrange, which I haven't done yet.
Those stamps you speak of are not readable on either magazine, and I don't have anything to really measure spring tension differences but I could maybe rig something up if I had to.
The one on the left is the one that works well, the one on the right is the one with issues. One stamp is barely there other than the ring, and the other seems like they tried to stamp it 2 or 3 times making it unreadable. Maybe you can see what your mags look like and tell me what you think I have.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:15 am 

Well, here's a pic of mine. I read mine as "1" and "2". But we also have different proof marks. Mine are marked with "M"s instead of "HT"s. I obviously have no idea what any of these markings mean. I was wondering if mine were from batch 1 and batch 2, or if each rifle was given a 1 and 2 mag, but that's obviously not the case... And I really don't have any way to measure spring tension, but I noticed when loading bullets into mag 1 that the tenth round kept trying to wiggle sideways instead of staying seated correctly. Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:28 am 

It has so much wiggle in it that I got a round stuck sideways diagonally in the chamber and I decided to see how the rest of the rounds were seated in the mag, so I pulled the mag out as straight as I could and found this guy had been pulled forward and up and caught on the mag lip! Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:37 am 

Looks like my first picture didn't go through. I'll try it again...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:30 am 

My cartridges also like to stick up just like that where the rim catches at the end of the feed lips, but slowmo footage proved to me that it wasn't a CAUSE of my malfunction. It goes in straight as ever, the bullet tip hits just lower than the feed ramp, and gets flung up like that. I had all sorts of theories like that until I did the slowmo footage.
All I know is that I need to get myself some brass case ammo and test FIME's theory that it doesn't happen with it. And I'll make sure to put it in my bad mag that likes to dive the nose just below the feed ramp and send it flying up and away from the chamber entrance, causing the malfunction. If it doesn't happen, I still suspect it's the soft plastic nose deforming more gracefully than the tip of an FMJ bullet so it doesn't throw it off enough.
I'm still hoping for a solution like aftermarket mags, otherwise I've got a spare bullet guide around here that I'm tempted to have put in just to slightly guide the bullet tip higher than the spot causing the malfunction. I imagine that's a cheap solution too since it's just a matter of taking it to a smith at a huge gunshop I get to now and again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:38 pm 

I was thinking of putting a bullet guide in mine as well. Apparently Tasco 7.62 mags work if you have a bullet guide. But now I'm also worried that I can't seem to find Wolf ammo anywhere! I'm glad that there are some good brass options available and aren't too bad if you can catch it on sale, but Wolf was truly affordable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next