THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:12 am 

I know that csspecs will be making mags more this rifle. But my concern is that they are basically making the factory mags exactly, just in 20 round options. But there's hope that they may identify and correct possible problem areas with the mags when testing. But I know that they have invested in tooling and they should be available in the near future. Maybe March of this year? I can't seem to find the forum with a csspecs rep posting the details...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:13 am 

Jwsquared wrote:
I recently picked up a vepr chambered in 6.5 Grendel. This past weekend I took it out shooting and was running into an issue where it was ejecting live rounds. I was putting weight on the mag while shooting, the rife is all stock using the mags that came with it. What could be the cause and solution to this problem?

I also have been having issues with the next round failing to feed into the chamber for firing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the rifle and I don't have issue with it. Are you using oem magazines or makeshift ones? if OEM, then bring it to gunsmith and have them look at it

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:05 pm 

Just an update. I guess my "only load the mag to 8 or 9 rounds" strategy doesn't fix it either. I just had it happen even further up in the magazine, round #5 when 4 were still in the mag after it tried to load. I had it jam itself up and left again, missing the chamber.
I'm finally getting off my arse and emailing FIME group about it. I still think it's more of a mag issue than a gun issue, but we'll see what they have to say.
I wish there were alternative mags to at least try and see if they did it too, but I just have my 2 molot mags.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:15 am 

I also have emailed FIME, no response yet but it's only been a couple of days. And it's the weekend now. It does appear to be a mags issue to me as well. And I looked at my mags and I do have some gouges cut into the front of the mounting lip. Not quite as pronounced as yours were, but I haven't shot that many rounds through mine. I'm really hoping FIME responds and makes this right.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:12 am 

Does both magazines having issues?

I think you should take it to gunsmith both rifle and magazines. It might be easy fix. I wouldn't rely on FIME to support rifle they can't import. Just being frank about it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:13 am 

Both of my mags have issues, emailed FIME this weekend so I don't expect a response till the weekdays.
I'd like to get it resolved locally at a smith, but feel like it's too risky. I'm not going through all the effort of driving 2+hrs round trip to my nearest smith I'd trust with ak work, just to have him charge me to void my warranty thinking he's going to just mod something. He may not get it working and now I'd have to eat the gun/mags because FIME won't help after I broke their warranty rules.
And correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe that while they can't import new rifles for sale, I don't think sanctions would void the grandfathered contractual obligations between molot and fime on this gun. Plus, there's still lots of 6.5 veprs in stock so they could outright replace it if need be.
My luck with veprs is very unusual from all I've seen since they were first imported. I was always under the impression that you couldn't go wrong with them, but the last two I bought have had issues.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:11 pm 

So I got a reply from FIME this morning. They seem to believe that it is a problem with the WOLF ammo and that my gun is still rather fresh with only around a hundred rounds through it. They said that they recommend at least 300 rounds as break in and things should smooth out from there. They recommended I clean and lubricate the gun and go back out and ride it hard until I hit at least 300. His reasoning is that the Wolf projectile is lighter and under gassed so the bolt isn't getting the pressure it needs to feed correctly, though it still wouldn't explain how live rounds are getting ejected as well. Anyway, they said to follow up with them after a good solid break in and if the problem persists they would issue an RMA# to send the gun in and have it inspected and evaluated.

Over all I'm impressed with the response and attention they gave me. Even though it's not resolved to satisfaction yet, I feel confident that they'll make good on the rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:06 am 

I haven't heard yet, but I imagine I'll get a near identical response. This is probably new territory for FIME too with a 6.5 gun and it's unique issues, so I can understand their wait and see attitude for the time being. I'm not against giving it a break-in, but I want the issue on record in case it doesn't work itself out. I'm going to give my mags some artificial break-in tonight since it's too dark to shoot in the back yards. I'm throwing on some earpro just in case the worst happens, and going to fill mags and rack them empty for a while.
Thanks for sharing your response with me.
Update: I put another 120 or 140 through the gun just manually operating it. No issues the whole time, where-as I've had it eject live rounds or jam multiple times when I hand-drop the bolt in the past depending whether it's the first or second problem rounds in the mag. Maybe there's some truth to this break-in cycle.
Quote:
His reasoning is that the Wolf projectile is lighter and under gassed

I was leaning more towards normal gassed with how far it throws my casings.
Quote:
though it still wouldn't explain how live rounds are getting ejected as well

I still think there's a point at the end of the feed lips where it likes to grab onto the rim, but I suppose that'll get smoothed out by the rims riding it as hard as they must be to do that. Time will tell and I'll continue to monitor the thread in case you get a chance to blow through half a case of ammo before I do. I've got about 120rds through mine so far, and I have to admit, at least one of my mags may be wearing in a bit. I think it feels like cartridges may be sliding out better than it was anyway. I don't know if it'll translate to reliability yet. And I might have to buy some 120grain ammo and experiment around by loading it as the first couple rounds in the mag, but my main food will remain the cheap wolf because I just want more bangs for my dollars above all else.
I'm going to give my mags some artificial break-in tonight since it's too dark to shoot in the back yards. I'm throwing on some earpro just in case, and going to fill mags and rack them empty for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:11 am 

well I shoot only wolf 6.5 Grendel rounds through my Vepr. I haven't had an issue on that. I only put about 150 rounds through it. I am waiting to put scope on this rifle, so its kind of on backburner. I had it converted already, but scope is last piece of the puzzle, but I have expensive taste, so I am saving for variable trigicon scope that I have my eye on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:43 pm 

Quote:
Seeing as the gun ran fine with the A-max but had issues with the wolf I don’t believe it’s a mag issue. How many total rounds do you have through the gun? I ask because we normally recommend putting at least 300 rounds through the gun as a break in. I would recommend cleaning & re lubricating the firearm and running up the round count to see if it clears up. If nothing changes we can issue you a RMA# allowing you to send the gun in for evaluation and repair. The A-max has a lower advertised velocity than the wolf but it also has more mass in the projectile so I’m thinking the lighter wolf bullet may be leaving the barrel sooner than the A-max and thus reducing dwell time and back pressure. This can causing weak ejection or failures to eject but without being hands on I can’t be 100%. Also if the gun is under gassed it can cause loading issues as the bolt can travel far enough rearward to extract and eject the spent cartridge but not far enough to gain enough forward momentum to properly feed and load the next cartridge thus causing diagonally jammed rounds and pushed in projectiles. Again I can’t be 100% without being hands on but I’d recommend you go run the gun hard and see if the cycling issues clear up. Also it is a good idea to check the ejection pattern as this can be a good indication of gas issues. Contact me with any updates and if it doesn’t clear up we issue you a RMA#.

So they got back to me, and I'm going to hand cycle some more rounds to try to get more break-in before I take it out shooting again. Just figured I'd share their response.
I do feel like it's getting better, but the real test will come next time I shoot it. I used to have those same problems often when dropping the bolt on a fresh mag or round #9 even, and it hasn't done it to me for the last 12 fresh mag changes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next