THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:46 am 

Scubasteve, mine is at the gunsmith right now. Should have an update eventually and will be sure to post results here. Here is a video of what appears to be the problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FWDD3Sy0-c

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:59 am 

There is a preliminary update on my part which I'd like to throw out there. I got my Vepr back from the shop. They attempted to do an AK-pattern magazine conversion, however, the dimensions of the trunnion on the Grendel Vepr are slightly non-standard. This would've given the AK-pattern mag too much play when seated.

They recommended the following fix for both the factory and Csspecs aftermarket mags. For the factory mags, they said that they believe that Molot had some faulty manufacturing batches which cause these issues. They used their stock of Molot factory mags to find ones that work through testing. They sent me back my old mags plus new ones that they say do work.

I did notice that my old "bad" mags are both marked "(2) (P) (M)" and the "good" ones "(1) (P) (E)". Please see the image below. I did notice in this thread that at least one of Deek's bad mags are marked the same as mine. In regards to the aftermarket mags, Csspecs is confident that they have identified the issues with the culprit being the mag spring. They swapped my old ones for new ones.

Now, thanks to this coronavirus situation I have not been able to shoot and test my rifle, as ranges are closed. I can't wait to hopefully convince myself soon that these issues are now fixed. Can other's perhaps post the markings on their good and bad mags? Have you guys used the new updated Csspecs mags with success? I am very curious.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:53 am 

Got another update here. Please refer to my preceding post. I did test my new mags today. Both the two "handpicked" Molot (10 rnd) mags and the two Csspecs (20 rnd) mags with the updated springs performed flawlessly throughout one full mag each. Before, about two to three rounds out of ten would not feed correctly. An observation I made is that hand-cycling slowly now feeds the round into the chamber. With the previous mags which were giving me trouble, hand-cycling slowly would always result in that jam described throughout this thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:15 am 

New Vepr Grendel owner, same issues. Hoping to see more new information soon.

Important information:
Used Wolf and Hornady brass FMJ: both jam
Molot mags stamped #1: problem persists
2 csspecs 30rd bought after they fixed springs: problem persists

Last edited by Nephiril on Tue May 26, 2020 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:46 am 
Big Sal

Snek wrote:
There is a preliminary update on my part which I'd like to throw out there. I got my Vepr back from the shop. They attempted to do an AK-pattern magazine conversion, however, the dimensions of the trunnion on the Grendel Vepr are slightly non-standard. This would've given the AK-pattern mag too much play when seated.

They recommended the following fix for both the factory and Csspecs aftermarket mags. For the factory mags, they said that they believe that Molot had some faulty manufacturing batches which cause these issues. They used their stock of Molot factory mags to find ones that work through testing. They sent me back my old mags plus new ones that they say do work.

I did notice that my old "bad" mags are both marked "(2) (P) (M)" and the "good" ones "(1) (P) (E)". Please see the image below. I did notice in this thread that at least one of Deek's bad mags are marked the same as mine. In regards to the aftermarket mags, Csspecs is confident that they have identified the issues with the culprit being the mag spring. They swapped my old ones for new ones.

Now, thanks to this coronavirus situation I have not been able to shoot and test my rifle, as ranges are closed. I can't wait to hopefully convince myself soon that these issues are now fixed. Can other's perhaps post the markings on their good and bad mags? Have you guys used the new updated Csspecs mags with success? I am very curious.

Snek, thanks for the info. I made this a sticky.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:17 am 

I have the same exact issues with the Vepr G I bought last month. I have two #1 stamped factory mags and two csspecs 30 rd mags that were sold to me after csspecs claimed to have replaced the springs in their old stock. Sometimes as many as one out of three rounds will get flung up and to the left, jamming the rifle, as others have noted. The live round ejection has happened a handful of times as well. So far I've run Wolf and Hornady American Gunner; I also have Hornady BTHP and Barnes TTSX available to use in the future. The problem is really starting to bother me, firstly because the bad factory mag and bad csspec spring theories don't hold up in my case, and secondly because one simply does not expect to encounter such glaring quality issues in a Vepr.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:13 pm 

Deek57. Unfortunately there are different tolerances in AKs regarding the magazines , magazine release latches and magports.Bullet angle can be affected very easily.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:48 pm 

OK, think I'm getting somewhere. I've had some friends look at it and I think what is happening is that the mag springs are not providing enough tension. When the bolt moves the round forward, it pushes down on the entire stack at. This gives the round more lateral play when the feed lips crap the rim of the cartridge, enough play to cause the tip to miss entering battery after ricocheting off the guides on either side of the receiver. Buddy says he thinks the spring tension in the CSSPECS springs are probably in spec but have geometry issues. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:23 pm 

Nephiril wrote:
I have the same exact issues with the Vepr G I bought last month. I have two #1 stamped factory mags and two csspecs 30 rd mags that were sold to me after csspecs claimed to have replaced the springs in their old stock. Sometimes as many as one out of three rounds will get flung up and to the left, jamming the rifle, as others have noted. The live round ejection has happened a handful of times as well. So far I've run Wolf and Hornady American Gunner; I also have Hornady BTHP and Barnes TTSX available to use in the future. The problem is really starting to bother me, firstly because the bad factory mag and bad csspec spring theories don't hold up in my case, and secondly because one simply does not expect to encounter such glaring quality issues in a Vepr.

If I were you I'd probably contact Csspecs and work with them. I think they will be your best ally in this. I have to say that, running the rifle some more, the new Csspecs have held up really, really well for me.

The rifle is actually very fun to run now. I did get about 2 FTF out of 200 rounds. One was the supposedly "good" Molot mag, the other I can't remember which type mag it was. I will definitely keep an eye on it. Also, I really only did run the Wolf in any capacity as to make any statements about reliability and different ammo types.

Which ammo type where you getting these malfunctions with mostly? Also, are your Molot mags marked "(1) (x?) (x?)" in white print? How many rounds have you got through the rifle?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6