THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:10 pm 

Yeah, wolf 6.5 ammo all disappeared the second I bought my 2nd batch of 500rds for the hoard. I'm sure glad I purchased that when I did so I've got a wood ammo crate's worth. I'm sure it'll come back, but at least I can wait it out now.
But as a first step, I'm still thinking about seeing if the gunsmith at my nearest "big" gunshop can extend the feed ramp just a mm or so on my chamber. I've got a dremel and know I could possibly do it, but I'd rather have a pro spend the 2 minutes doing it and pay the 20 bucks. The cartridges that get flung out have a very telling flattened nose, and the slomo vids I posted earlier in the thread support exactly what's happening. I think that even a slight improvement to the ramp will work wonders.
While feeding, about half of the bulllet nose hits hard just like this and causes it to get flung up violently. So fast that it actually misses the chamber entirely.
[Edit]Actually, I just noticed in my picture that you can see the copper smeared paths where the bullets get flung upward depending what side of the mag it's fed from, and they might not miss the chamber 100%. Maybe the flattened noses are partially from "almost" getting into the chamber on their way up. Or maybe the smears slightly into the chamber are "near misses" that almost got thrown out entirely.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:41 pm 

Interesting. I'm also get the flattened noses. Let me know if that works out well for you. Either a bullet guide or extending the feed ramp. It seems like that should do the trick, but I also feel like it's a combination of the mags and the "hint" of feed ramp on these things.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:49 pm 

I apologize for taking so long, but I haven't had time to pursue my problem other than loading mags to 5rds to ensure it doesn't happen.
So here's what I'm doing as of today... On my worst mag, I'm just going to raise this part with some aluminum for now. I think that should bring the round up that tiny bit it needs to enter the actual feed ramp and chamber. If not, at least it's easy to pry off and it's not much effort to cut some aluminum cans and add another layer if one isn't enough. And then there's no modifications to the actual gun either which is a plus.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:09 am 

Has it worked? I got my new mag a while back but haven't made it up to shoot and test it. Had some gremlins in my car but I think I've got it sorted out now. Hopefully within the next couple weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:53 pm 

Predictably, it didn't last long just being held on by superglue. But I couldn't get the gun to mess up while that little bit of extra stuff was there. I kept chambering the 10th round on my worst mag and it kept feeding.
At least I feel like I'm onto something now.
Got any better ideas on what do do to build that up a little higher?