THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:53 pm 

I recently picked up a vepr chambered in 6.5 Grendel. This past weekend I took it out shooting and was running into an issue where it was ejecting live rounds. I was putting weight on the mag while shooting, the rife is all stock using the mags that came with it. What could be the cause and solution to this problem?

I also have been having issues with the next round failing to feed into the chamber for firing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:12 am 

I do not believe anyone here has much experience with the Vepr in 6.5 Grendel. I have never seen an AK eject live rounds. My old SKS used to eject live rounds and fail to feed. It was due to defective aftermarket magazine. Switching back to OEM fixed mag solved that problem.

Since your rifle is brand new and unmodified, using OEM magazines and experiencing issues uncommon to the platform, I think its fair to say that your rifle is defective and you should seek repair/replacement from the Vendor as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:41 am 

Thank you kar120c that is what I was leaning to as well, I appreciate your input.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:29 am 
Big Sal

I agree with Karl. Out of curiosity, was the ammo steel case or brass?

best,
BigSal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:53 am 

New to the forum and I apologize for resurrecting this post from the dead, but I have also been having problems with my 6.5 G Vepr. Just like OP, my Vepr is all stock and using the factory 10 round magazines. I have only shot around 80-100 rounds from it, so it is still very new. I first shot a 20 round box of Hornady 123 gr A-MAX with no problems. That ammo is fairly expensive, so I bought 240 rounds of Wolf Ammo (100 gr FMJ). My rifle has since had some sort of problem with 25-30% of shots fired, but sporadically, meaning I might go through a full mag with no problems, or I might have 2-5 cartridges fail. My issues have been cartridges getting jammed into the chamber sideways and pushing the bullet into the casing, having live rounds get ejected instead of firing, stovepipes, etc. Does anybody else have experience with the Wolf Ammo? (which is steel case btw) Did I just get a bad batch of ammo? Is it the magazines? Is my Vepr just a lemon? Any insight would be much appreciated. And OP, did you ever resolve your issue or did you get rid of the gun and try something else?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:38 am 

I'm having a similar issue. I've only shot a few mags worth of ammo(wolf 100grain) from mine and am having an issue almost exclusively after the first shot from a fully loaded 10rd mag, round #2 in the mag gets flung up and left and jams the gun up. I've also had it eject a live round once.
Just tonight I did a little experiment, I loaded a mag to 10+1 and it still happened on the same round within the mag, so the first shot went well. It seems to work every time other than that.
It's tempting to load up expensive brass and see what happens, because it's like clockwork with the wolf ammo when it happens.
I've also noticed that the sharp edge of the rim of that round catches very hard on the cartridge below it and leaves a deep scratch along it(I originally suspected the bolt of doing this, but have found that it's not), so maybe the sharp rim is oversized and to blame? Otherwise I suspect that I'd be fine if if I only load 9rds in my gun if I want it to work correctly with this cheap ammo.
I've taken a grinding belt and quickly filed the sharpness from the front of the rim and it feeds 1000% better pushing with my finger, I can actually push the cartridge forward and out of the mag with ease. I'm going to have myself a little experiment and maybe have to load round #9 out of a specific box of ammo I've done that to.
I'll get back to you about how that works, and I suggest you guys try it if you get the chance first. If this trick works, I'm just going to go through my stash and spend the few seconds it takes per round and do them all. It's still far more worth it than paying $1 per round for another brand. I already did an entire 20rd box so I can load it in the top couple rounds and continue topping off the mag above 8rds and see if it fixes it. I suspect it will.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:28 am 

Interesting. I had not thought to look at how the rounds themselves were interacting with each other in the mag when feeding. Other than ensuring that they were all seated appropriately against the back wall. I'm interested to hear how this works for you. I really only went for the 6.5 G knowing Wolf was an option. I plan on hand loading eventually, but that'll be a while before I can afford a set up for that. And it''l be even harder to save money shooting $1 rounds! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:53 pm 

cooldogface wrote:
I really only went for the 6.5 G knowing Wolf was an option

Same. and I tried it tonight, same issue.
I racked the bolt all the way back and let go on a fresh 10rd mag, kicked the first round onto the ground anyway. And I had the same problem on round 2 soon after, kicked it up to the left and bent the front of the bullet a bit on the barrel/trunion area.
Something's still off. But at least the modded cases didn't scratch the crap out of the casing/bullet below it this time. All in all, I still have a 20" 6.5 grendel gun that'll need replacement most likely or at least a big partial refund/credit to buy something else. It's "tolerable" to me at least if that can happen. If I load mags to 8rds or less only, then it seems to work pretty reliably.
Here's pictures and descriptions on them. I'll show this to fime group too since it details everything I can think of.
https://imgur.com/a/vUdna
Depending which side of the mag, it'll do this, or kick a live round right out of the gun onto the ground. Typically happens on the first round or two of each magazine.
Typical bullet after it gets jammed up inside the gun.
Rim of cartridges scratch the cartridge below very badly. My rim smoothing mod fixes this, but not the ejecting of a live round or jamming issue.
Fronts of the mags, if that could be any indicator of what's going on. The black marked cartridges are the ones who's rims I modded so they don't scrape the round below, in an attempt to see if that's what was causing the problem. It didn't change anything.
Part of me wonders if filing down that plastic a bit more like a non-sporter mag would fix it too. I've already done that to four 10rd mags to work in non-sporter guns. The cartridges already seem to be eating away at it at a healthy pace as if it shouldn't be there.
Modded rims on bottom, took off the sharp edge that was grabbing on other cartridges within the mag so badly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:36 pm 

Possible fix, convert to take AK mags. Couple youtube vids for your consideration. Just throwing this out there, replacements from manufacturer may not be readily available. Might have to go outside the box.

1 - guy uses 20 round tapco 7.62 magazines in his Grendel vepr with no problems. In the comments he mentions he installed a 7.62 bullet guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il8mw4YiISs

1 - Guy modifies mag catch and installs 7.62 bullet guide in his Grendel vepr to use 10 round AK mags since they are cheaper and more plentiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvIG0fXvja0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:42 pm 

At this point, I know with 99% certainty it's not a rifle issue, so long as I start with 8 rounds in the mag, 0 issues ever.
I think it's the mags. Another thing I've noticed is that right as the cartridges leave the feed lips, the last bit of feed lip grabs the rim and sends the cartridge left/right violently just before it'd reach the chamber. At this point I'd bet money that aftermarket or different mags would fix it if they had slightly longer or better shaped feed lips so that the bullet tip is entering the chamber before it can get swung out.
I'm still going to see what FIME group can do for me on this issue and what they're found with other people's guns. I'm still thinking that it may work itself out over a bit of time as it shaves off the offending plastic that it's catching on too.
I still think that modding the mag like my 10rd vepr sporters stands at least fair chance of making this gun work too since it'll take some of the upward push out of the feeding too, and it's super easy to try and only requires a small bit of filing. But I'm not voiding the warranty on a $100 snowflake mag to try it without some permission.
Pics here of what I do to my regular 10rd vepr mags to make them fit guns. https://imgur.com/a/0u8Aa for all pics.
kar120c wrote:
Possible fix, convert to take AK mags.

I can wait for aftermarket mags if need be. I can survive loading to 8rds, and maybe I'll even get something out of FIME group for my trouble. I'll return it if need be, but I hate to do that unless I have to.