THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:14 am 
Business Member

Well I remembered I did not post over here and only updated the AK files guys.. So here is the timeline I posted. Understand that this is not exact and subject to change.. I'll post updates here and AK files under the saiga/vepr section.

I would put the time line around 90-120 days.. I would like to set a new shop record but historically this is what we have been able to do.
We have a few factors that may greatly reduce total time, but since we have never used them before I have no data on how that will change things..

Here is a breakdown of the timeline:

Mark says he is confident that machining of tooling will start Tuesday and that it will be complete in two weeks..

The tooling will then go to heat treatment for a week or so to be hardened for production.

Then we will have a week of dialing in the sheet metal sizes and making the tooling jigs and fixtures. And building whatever specialty welding hardware we need.

Once everything is set we have a finished prototype, and we will go and fire about 200+ rounds in the soft state to measure deforming, and also watching the feed on high speed camera. If everything looks good we will start the production run, testing can take between 1 hour and 1 week depending on the performance of the item.

Normally we would request a quote for laser cutting and wait a couple days, they would give us pricing then we would place the order which would take about 5-6 weeks for processing and 4-8 days for transit.... But we should have our own laser cutter installed and ready to go. So I don't know how that will change the timeline, in theory it will remove 6-8 weeks from the timeline.. The parts should be coming off the machine and start getting stamped immediately.

Normally we can complete the processing inside of 7-10 days depending how long we work each day.

Then the parts are dropped at heat treatment that can take between 1-4 weeks depending on how many batches of contract parts are in, they are averaging two weeks lately.. We don't produce enough goods to get a dedicated slot, so we get run when there is a slot open.

Once the parts are back from heat treatment they get scrubbed and washed, then they go into sizing tooling in the event slight distortion has happened. Parts are inspected using gauges, assembled, function inspected, inspected for finish, then packaged and wrapped in paper.. This normally takes 5 days.