THE VEPR FORUM

www.vepr.org
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 pm 

I hate dumb questions on the many forums I am on, and I think this may be a dumb question. Apologies, if so, in advance.

I have been casually thinking of VEPR's for some time, most of my rifles are WWII Mosins and Mausers. I decided to focus on the VEPR during our Christmas break, learn some stuff and maybe order.

Oh, did I mention Christmas break started Friday 12/17. Yep. It has been wild, needless to say. Terrible timing due to the terrible tragedy!

Anyway, I have learned a ton, but a lot still escapes me.

Before I asked I have done hundreds of searches and just can't find the answer. I expect it is because I don't know the terminology, not that an answer is not out there.

I have a 7.62x54 27" barrel on order from CFS. One of the new ones with square back. Not too concerned about their stock caveat since I want to do something different, anyway.

Bottom Line: I want a Dragunov or even a PSL type WOODEN butt stock and hand grip, the whole deal, wooden, for my VEPR.

I seem to find synthetic ones, and IWD is working up some for the older receiver, but they have no plans at present to develop one for the square back.

As I understand it, and I don't understand much, the new, square backed VEPR will be compatible with AK's...whatever that really means.

Can anyone help, and please understand I have tried to answer this on my own, but I feel I have spent too much time researching.

Oh, any answers in simple terms please.

Thank all of you very much.

jcinnb
new bern, nc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:54 am 
Generally Butt Naked

Not a dumb question at all, I'm sure a lot of guys new to AKs or veprs are wondering the same things. The square back vepr is compatible with any stock designed to mount to a standard AK rear trunnion, but in most cases the part of the stock that goes inside the receiver will need some material shaved off the sides and bottom because the vepr receiver is 1.6mm thick instead of the standard 1mm. I'm not sure if there is anyone making an SVD type stock that fits the AK rear trunnion, but there are wooden PSL style stocks around that came on some wasr imports that will work with the vepr, probably requiring minor fitting and sanding on the part that goes into the receiver.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:11 am 

Thank you. I believe I have that minor mod in me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 am 

It seems if you got the Ironwood SVD stock set for the VEPR, which is the best wood set I've seen, you could cut the square back back to an angle back.

I used one of these:
http://legionusainc.com/wood-svd-buttstock.html
on the back and a front from
http://www.troupsystems.com/saiga.htm
to convert a 20" into a SVD twin.

However the VEPR has the trigger in the right place, so you could use a PSL54 stock to do something like
Lil' Red in the pick below

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:05 pm 

Thank you. I have been all over the second site, but I could not find the saga.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:29 am 
Big Sal

I think black horse arsenal does a stock for the vepr square backs and they also have an svd FH for 14x1 threads.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:28 am 

BigSal wrote:
I think black horse arsenal does a stock for the vepr square backs and they also have an svd FH for 14x1 threads.

Thanks for the tip. Dumb question though - not sure which one to order for a square-backed VEPR. This one says it is for a VEPR :
http://blackhorsearsenal.gostorego.com/ ... fixed.html

but it doesn't say if it is for slant or square-back. I assume for the regular slanted ones. In that case, should I get this one:
http://blackhorsearsenal.gostorego.com/ ... fixed.html

which says it is for AK. Doesn't mention VEPR anywhere, but supposedly any AK stock fits on the square-backed VEPR?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:23 pm 

I want like to know the answer to Valhalla1's question as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:41 pm 

Valhalla was correct about which of the two stocks fit the slant vs. square back Vepr.

And Russian Hammer answered the second question above: standard AK furniture should fit the square back Vepr with minor modifications just due to the added thickness of the Vepr's receiver. You'll just have to do a little filing to get the AK stocks to fit into the smaller hole for the Vepr's stock.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:11 pm 

What kind of wooden furniture they are required? Can you explain some of the basic criterion?