THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:14 pm 
Business Member

I am going to try to simplify this as best I can and I hope it offers more help than confusion.

1- Upload your pic to a hosting service.... photobucket, imageshack, etc.. I use imageshack, but I don't think it matters much from one to the other.
ETA: Imgur blows Imageshack and Photobucket away. Imageshack dumped a lot of my older photos without any action from me. It matters.
2- Copy the "direct" link to the image.

3- Click the Img button above the message body box when you are creating the post you want to embed a pic in.

4- Paste the "direct" link in the img bars in the message body. [img.]paste your direct link here[/img]

5- Add whatever other text, pics, links, etc. and submit the post.

Now post some pics! No excuses! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:06 am 

Image shack and shutterbug are the devil. I do not recommend. They basically guarantee survival of the least fit content.

This is because if people find a thread or picture interesting or useful it immediately hits the view limit and becomes a dead link. If no one cares about a thread or picture, it lives forever.

Please use a service without view limits such as IMGUR or G+, picassa, etc. Thanks.

shotguns, some gunsmithing, reloading, fabrication, knife making, etc.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/armaggedonite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:01 am 

Not very tech savvy so sorry for the dumb question but why cant we upload straight out of our PC?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:08 am 

You can, but it has to be rather low file size due to forum bandwidth issues.

One way to resize is to right click on the picture, click edit and it will open in MS paint. On the upper left is an icon for resize. Then type in a percentage and it will reduce the file size while preserving aspect ratio.

shotguns, some gunsmithing, reloading, fabrication, knife making, etc.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/armaggedonite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:14 am 

This thread needs more pics! :lol:

Random pic...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:32 am 

BlackCatfish wrote:
This thread needs more pics! :lol:

Random pic...

Nice 20 round fixed SKS mag! Is there a place to find those any more? I was given one with cursive righting on the bottom. Yet to tune it up.

I have one concern about posting pics now. What is the easiest way to strip/ remove ALL metadata from an image before upload? I do not care to have my name and gps location or anything personal posted along with a picture. Metadata is spooky, like George Soros.

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:04 am 
Generally Butt Naked

I think you can do it in a photoshop program but I'm not sure as I've never tried

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:54 am 

Nephilim7 wrote:
I have one concern about posting pics now. What is the easiest way to strip/ remove ALL metadata from an image before upload? I do not care to have my name and gps location or anything personal posted along with a picture. Metadata is spooky, like George Soros.

You can get the pic centered on your computer screen, then hit the "PrtSc" button on you computer. Open MS Paint, right-click in the drawing area and select "Paste" (or just press Ctrl-v). You'll need to crop out all the rest of the screen (I like to use the crop tool to select the area of interest, hit Ctrl-x to cut it, Ctrl-n to make a new picture, answer no to saving the current one, then Ctrl-v to paste the clean image back into the workspace.) Save it as a .jpeg and upload it at will.

This will strip any metadata out of the original picture. From what I can tell, the only thing that gets generated is the creation date of the new picture, size, and maybe whatever you've named your computer.

I'm curious if I'm missing something...I've uploaded a few pictures directly to the forum, without having to host them anywhere. Is there a reason not to do this, or is it just not an obvious feature?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:08 am 

Nephilim7 wrote:
Nice 20 round fixed SKS mag! Is there a place to find those any more? I was given one with cursive righting on the bottom. Yet to tune it up.

Thanks, too bad I can't use it in my state. Bought it back in the 90s because it was cheap and cool, no idea if they are out there still.

Here's another random pic...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:44 am 

Metadata and George Soros are scary!