THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Joined the club
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:17 am 

Well I finally took the plunge into the semi-auto shotgun world and ordered a Vepr 12 and picked it up from my FFL yesterday. I think I did good I am all in for 709.00 shipped and a $10 transfer fee that was until I ordered some mags on K-var. I bought OEM 8($60) and 10($77) rounders they seemed to be the cheapest I could find. I would like to order a few more but they are pricey. I might take a chance and save a few bucks and go with a few SGM's what are you thoughts on that? I plan to run this gun bone stock for a while but I think I would like to install and ALG trigger like I have in my AK down the road. Does anyone run one in their vepr and if so did it require any fitting? I like the Idea of adding a different stock setup once I verify the gun will be reliable. I have been stalking the threads for a while and have not seen a thread related to break in recommendations so any thoughts there? I plan on stripping it down for a inspection/ cleaning session this weekend before shooting it.

Post subject: Re: Joined the club
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:53 am 

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on getting a Vepr 12, they truly are a great firearm. I have had success with SGM mags as well as CSSPECS makes an all steel design 8 and 10 rounders. My break-in recommendation is shoot the hell out of it. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:33 am 

Sounds like a sound plan. My owners manual inventory stated it should have come with a drift. It was not in the box. What is its intended purpose?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:03 am 

You are off to a great start!

The drift is a tiny black punch wrapped in brown paper. Not a big deal. Anything the right size works just as well. It is most commonly used to disassemble the two parts of the rotating bolt.

I recommend Supreme birdshot from Walmart. 3.25 dram usually runs well.

ALG trigger fits with some relieving. I here they can be quite nice. 8-)

Don't bother with break in. Just keep ALL lube off of bolt face, down barrel, thru gas block\ tube to the arm of the carrier. Any other bearing points can be lubed very lightly.

Welcome! :D

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:21 am 

ocvandal wrote:
Well I finally took the plunge into the semi-auto shotgun world and ordered a Vepr 12 and picked it up from my FFL yesterday. I think I did good I am all in for 709.00 shipped and a $10 transfer fee that was until I ordered some mags on K-var. I bought OEM 8($60) and 10($77) rounders they seemed to be the cheapest I could find. I would like to order a few more but they are pricey. I might take a chance and save a few bucks and go with a few SGM's what are you thoughts on that? I plan to run this gun bone stock for a while but I think I would like to install and ALG trigger like I have in my AK down the road. Does anyone run one in their vepr and if so did it require any fitting? I like the Idea of adding a different stock setup once I verify the gun will be reliable. I have been stalking the threads for a while and have not seen a thread related to break in recommendations so any thoughts there? I plan on stripping it down for a inspection/ cleaning session this weekend before shooting it.

Welcome, my man.

Factory mags should run like butter. SGM's can be hit or miss, but respond well to bit of tuning. It is best to do all initial ammo testing with the factory mags!

Any questions regarding an ALG in a Vepr 12 should be answered by this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYtnBRKZuOI

Along with 4range and Tromix, and with a little help from Mr. Evl, I *helped* to standardize the ALG as a drop in upgrade for the Vepr 12. The one that is sold by 4range still benefits from an end/skilled-user hammer profile, which is detailed in the above video.

Also, if you poke around a bit on my channel, you will find many helpful videos about detailed take down, etc...that you will just not find anywhere else.

The most important thing with these initially is to approach with methodic testing. A variety of different powered ammo, from 3.75 dram down to 3 dram, tested with factory mags, before you make ANY upgrades/mods to it.

There is no need to do a "break in". That is a waste of money. I would put a box or so of each power ammo through it and record your results, and go from there.

god speed!

-V

WWW.4RANGE.COM Use code "V4V5" FOR 5% OFF

"Harness the power of your Inner Russian"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:37 pm 

Welcome! :D
Opinion of SGM mags are hit or miss. It just depends if the owner got one that works, or they got screwed. I like them, but that just means I got the ones that work. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:36 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. I look forward to getting some trigger time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:41 pm 

I forgot to mention, there are some SGM mags for sale right now in the ad section for a crazy good price.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:18 pm 

Welcome to the forum and wonderful world of V12. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:33 pm 

Welcome !!