It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: New VEPR 12 Owner.
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:51 pm 

Thanks for all the great info, folks.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:57 pm 

Ambrose wrote:
Cycle the action a bit as suggested, clean and lube it, then fire some 3.25 dram equiv. (Suprema from Walmart is cheap and works well)ammunition and see how it does. Don't mod your shotgun until you have determined that it is reasonably in spec (which emans beign able to cycle 3.25 dram eq ammo with relatively decent reliability out of the box). Most Veprs are fine, but if you happen to have a bad one, you really do want to knwo before you start to tweak it.

with that said...

-the most popular quad rail is a chaos rail, but I'm quite happy with my Molot tri rail. the quad rails make it much harder to access he gas system, so keep that in mind if you want one ( they do look veyr nice, though, I will admit.)
-any good dot is fine, but be aware that when you open the cover it may lose zero.
-Gk-01 muzzle break is highly recommended ( I use one and am quite happy with it), but any quality muzzle break will work fine, as long as it is really a break, and not just a glorified flash supresser.
-csspecs 8 round mags (which hold nine...) are good, their 10s will no doubt be good as well, and molot 8 and 10s are good. you'll need to file the csspecs to fit a little, btu the metal body and lower cost are worth the hassle to most people. keep in mind that 922r will be a consideration with any mag ecxcept a molot 5 rounder.

Ambrose hit it on the head! 8-)

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:02 am 

VforVandetta wrote:
Welcome and congrats on you're purchase!

If you need any help on taking it apart or basic simple stuff, make sure you check out my YouTube channel. There are some helpful videos on there.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEmEyt ... P-ExRztytg

I would certainly encourage you to function test it first, do a nice, complete ammo test and sight in, and then look at upgrades.

Also, what is your intended use of this firearm?

Subscribed to your channel and have been watching your vids all afternoon. Great info, thanks!

My main intended use is to protect my castle. When it's not doing that, I'll be using it to destroy targets at the range.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:55 pm 

The VEPR 12 is a fun and very interesting gun. I've owned countless guns over the years, but this particular one has been one of the most interesting ones I've owned. There is just something about a Russian AK shotgun that I can't quite put my finger on that I really like. A certain "je ne sais quoi". Not sure if its legit to use French to describe a Russian gun, but there it is. :lol:

But, being an AK design, it's also a wee bit of a project... more than most. But that is part of the fun, is it not? So hold onto your wallet comrade!

Scotty

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:19 pm 

As Churchill said about Russia:

The Vepr 12 is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. ;)

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:48 pm 

Welcome. :)

Seems you got all your questions answered. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:19 am 

Welcome!!