THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New VEPR 12 Owner.
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:58 am 

Hi all,

Just picked up my new VEPR 12 (fixed stock). Excited to take it out and break it in.

Any advice for a VEPR newbie?

I'd like to add/modify:
A quad rail to replace gas tube cover and front HG.
A muzzle brake (any suggestions?)
Some 10 or 12 round mags (any suggestions?)
A red dot optic?

Can anyone recommend some good online stores to order accessories from?

Thanks,

-Breck

Post subject: Re: New VEPR 12 Owner.
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:21 pm 

Welcome! :D

I'd take the bolt, carrier and puck out and clean the lube off. Put them back in dry and "Light 'er up".

The GK-01 Molot break seems to be the standard for a V12. It's on my wish list as well.

There've been a couple red dot threads here recently, should be easy to find on the first or second page of the V12 section.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:59 pm 

My advice? Fight the urge and wait a month or two before you buy any magazines. Then buy a bunch of the new 10 round CSSpecs mags that are coming soon. Buy once, cry once. You'll have a bunch of money tied up in this new addiction soon enough.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:04 pm 

First Welcome! Secondly before you start buying parts use her as she is and see if you really want too. She's easy to spend a lot of money on but unless you have a specific néed out of the box usually works just fine. Cycle the action about 20-30 times to loosen and junk and then take apart and clean before heading to the range. I've had some great guns out of the box and some were really full of metal shavings. There are several different and guards and optics available. Depends on what you going to use her for. Home defense, 3 gun, etc. will determine what red dot you want to use. My wife has an Aimpoint Pro on her's for home defense. It has a five year battery life when left on and I use the sights it came with. So try before you buy before you spend money that you didn't need too.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:09 pm 

Welcome and congrats on you're purchase!

If you need any help on taking it apart or basic simple stuff, make sure you check out my YouTube channel. There are some helpful videos on there.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEmEyt ... P-ExRztytg

I would certainly encourage you to function test it first, do a nice, complete ammo test and sight in, and then look at upgrades.

Also, what is your intended use of this firearm?

WWW.4RANGE.COM Use code "V4V5" FOR 5% OFF

"Harness the power of your Inner Russian"

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:28 pm 

Welcome, Breck!

You will really enjoy that Wild Boar. I suggest using Google to search for "vepr.org inserttopichere" since all of what you ask is thoroughly discussed here recently. Read up before you buy is my advice. ;)

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:07 am 
Business Member

Welcome aboard.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:01 pm 

Welcome to Veppy World! Take your time and research the forum and see all the different configurations. They are awesome shotguns. I would suck it up and buy the OEM mags personally. The prices on them have recently come down. Very rarely are there any problems with them.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:20 pm 

Breck wrote:
Hi all,

Just picked up my new VEPR 12 (fixed stock). Excited to take it out and break it in.

Any advice for a VEPR newbie?

I'd like to add/modify:
A quad rail to replace gas tube cover and front HG. There is a drop in plastic railed version of the factory HG if you want simple and inexpensive.
A muzzle brake (any suggestions?) Consider any choke options before you invest in a brake. Whether having an extension put on, internally threaded or otherwise. GK series is popular and effective.
Some 10 or 12 round mags (any suggestions?) Factory magazines from 4range .com
A red dot optic? Comm-bloc matchy or just a decent dot?

Can anyone recommend some good online stores to order accessories from?

Thanks,

-Breck

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:54 am 

Cycle the action a bit as suggested, clean and lube it, then fire some 3.25 dram equiv. (Suprema from Walmart is cheap and works well)ammunition and see how it does. Don't mod your shotgun until you have determined that it is reasonably in spec (which emans beign able to cycle 3.25 dram eq ammo with relatively decent reliability out of the box). Most Veprs are fine, but if you happen to have a bad one, you really do want to knwo before you start to tweak it.

with that said...

-the most popular quad rail is a chaos rail, but I'm quite happy with my Molot tri rail. the quad rails make it much harder to access he gas system, so keep that in mind if you want one ( they do look veyr nice, though, I will admit.)
-any good dot is fine, but be aware that when you open the cover it may lose zero.
-Gk-01 muzzle break is highly recommended ( I use one and am quite happy with it), but any quality muzzle break will work fine, as long as it is really a break, and not just a glorified flash supresser.
-csspecs 8 round mags (which hold nine...) are good, their 10s will no doubt be good as well, and molot 8 and 10s are good. you'll need to file the csspecs to fit a little, btu the metal body and lower cost are worth the hassle to most people. keep in mind that 922r will be a consideration with any mag ecxcept a molot 5 rounder.

I recommend and use the following Vepr-12 upgrades: Muzzle break: Molot GK-01; Recoil pad: Allan Company (med size); trigger: ALG AKT (*if* you like a light pull); Lube: super lube on appropriate friction surfaces.