THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ammo
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:04 pm 
Dan

I have tons of milsurp ammo i need something a bit more accurate for competitions but not match grade. Theres another Mossin Nagant shooter that uses one for long range work. From what i understand milsurp is 6 to 7 MOA. Just wondering what the recommendations are for 3 or 4 MOA ammo for KD vintage sniper.

Thanks fellers

Post subject: Re: Ammo
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:55 pm 

yeah, mil-surp is not made for accuracy. Despite the variations it comes in, it's made for a wide range of platforms, like gatling guns on airships, heavy machine guns, as well as small arms, and etc. So accuracy isn't built into them.

However, the 7N1 mil-surp is sniper grade ammo and designed to be more accurate. It's a 152gr FMJ which is a light ball compared to newer "match" grades. If you can get some, try it. However, last can I saw of 440 rnds was going for $265 - so it's not as cheap as other mil-surp.

Really, to find out what works best in your Mosin is to just buy a bunch of different stuff and test it out. Your particular rifle may shoot better with one brand over another.

I have a list of most new ammo here: http://vepr.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2772.

I like PPU 150gr FMJ or SP. Wolf imports PPU under their Wolf Gold label and you can usually find it a little cheaper even though it is exactly the same round and made by PPU. Brown/Silver Bear are also good quality new stuff and can be fairly inexpensive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:40 pm 
Dan

Thanks, ill look into the good ammo milsurp ammo option.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:12 pm 
Business Member

So far mine also likes the PPU 150 grain soft points.

I think this is because they are .312 pills and most mil surplus is .3105

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:48 pm 

Horse wrote:
So far mine also likes the PPU 150 grain soft points.

I think this is because they are .312 pills and most mil surplus is .3105

Are the PPU 150gr SP .312?? I can't find any data on them and don't have any to measure. I know the PPU 150gr FMJ and 180gr SP are .311.

I am unaware of any newly manufactured 54R ammo that has a .312 diameter. Most are .311 with a few exceptions like Brown Bear 203gr SP that are .310. I've only heard of .312's being used in reloads for people's worn out Mosin bores. So please let me know if the PPU 150gr SP's are .312.

And the majority of surplus is also .311. Yes there are a few exceptions where they do dip to .310 or .3105 depending on which country manufactures it - like China's steel core light ball which is .310 but then their lead cores go back to .311 - which is interesting because most everyone else's steel cores are .311 and if they drop to a .310 size, it's usually in their lead core light balls.

But back to the point of the posts... PPU (and most newly manufactured brands) are made to better standards and small arms use specifically as opposed to the old Cold War Era surplus stuff which was just made en masse for use in anything at anytime. So no one should expect great groupings with surplus (again, unless you pick up some of the 7N1 sniper surplus which should yield better groups than normal surplus).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:50 pm 

My Remington Mosin loves 150gr PPU. My M39 loves 182gr PPU. I would be happy using any PPU 54r ammo, and they have some match grade stuff which ain't to pricey. Was about $15 per box of 20 last I bought.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:45 am 

So far I am happy with my R51 subcompact pistol. I find it function flawlessly. In fact, they found it to have lower felt recoil, lower muzzle rise and better accuracy and concealability.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:09 pm 

I have tried PPU 183 grain, russian 147 surplus, Czech 187 surplus, Hornady 175 grain steel case in my 1934 91/30 tula hex set up on Archangel stock with timney trigger and 3x9/50 leupold. 3" groups best average. Surprisingly I loaded IMR 4350 at 52.5 grains, standard large rifle primer behind .308 sierra 168 BTHP and I'm getting 3/4" to 1" average three shot groups. Started out with 50.0 grains and worked up to 52.5 obtaining the smallest consistent groups. Any faster (more grains of powder) and the group began to open up again. Should note that after three shots the group starts opening up unless the barrel is allowed to cool down. had the same experience with my VEPR Red SVD 23" barrel from Atlantic Firearms.