THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:13 pm 

I know 7n6 is a great round at a great price, but I hate having to be neurotic about cleaning my rifle. Plus there's that whole importation ban thing. I'd like to save the 7n6 I have.

So in a hypothetical world without surplus 5.45, what commercial ammo do you prefer?

What's the most accurate in your rifle?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:09 pm 
Big Sal

Ive tested Wolf, Silver Bear and GT out of my AK74, and the most accurate (keeping in mind I am inherently a poor shot) has been silver bear. But we are talking a marginal difference and Ive only shoot a few hundred rounds of each, so its a poor sample size at best. That being said, I would like to stockpile GT as its usually cheaper per round and lacquer coated for longer/better storage. I have not dont any testing to determine which of the major commercial ammunitions causes the most fauling, as I clean my rig every three weeks or so.

I actually have some Wolf and SB on hand right now, if you are up north let me know and you can see which works best for you. I have no GT to spare at the moment. 8-)

***EDIT*** Also wanted to add that the lighter grain GT is closer to 7n6 than the other two in terms of where it ends up down range (its still off a bit, but if you are sighted in with 7n6 it might make a marginal difference). If memory serves correctly, member Voron did a series of tests with commercial ammo, and found them all to be less than desirable. Maybe he will chime in as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:06 pm 

Currently shooting SB, GT, 7N6, and hornady out of my Vepr, SGL, and AR. It's a mixed bag. The SGL likes 7N6. The Vepr loves GT. The AR likes GT, but it gets mostly 7N6 and shoots just fine. POI is slightly different between surplus and commercial. The Hornady shoots about same as GT for POI and consistency. Been stockpiling the surplus even at the higher current costs just because it's such great ammo. Down the road I'll rely on the Tiger. Haven't tried any of the recent Wolf varieties so can't say. /sct

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:17 am 

What ever is cheaper. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:37 am 

I just took my VEPR out to compare some ammo I had on hand. I've always been a fan of Golden Tiger for the clean burn, but have had to use Silver Bear a lot lately.

I compared Silver Bear, Red Army Standard, Golden Tiger, and Hornady. Are your results similar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVXUQzQ ... VmbGlXJOPQ