THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:11 am 

I've got tons of surplus ammo for my Mosins and even though I have not purchased my VEPR yet I am thinking about what I will be shooting in it. When I finish at the range with the Mosin I take it home and steam clean the barrel. Then I follow it up with WD-40 and then Rem-Oil (with Teflon). Been doing it like this for a couple of years and cleanup is pretty easy. I'm wondering about how the breakdown / cleanup will be with the VEPR. I've had AKs and RPKs before but never shot corrosive ammo in them. Just wondering what you guys shoot in them. Cheap ammo is one of the reasons I am lusting after the VEPR in 7.62x54r.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:00 am 

that's all many people do shoot in the x54R & 5.45. I don't have either & only have newer non-corrosive 7.62x39 for my MAK90. Even if I did shoot corrosive then I've heard that all it takes is squirting Windex down the barrel & into the receiver to neutralize the salts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:41 am 

All i have put through mine is corrosive, no issues so far.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:28 am 

[quote="rmcelwee"Then I follow it up with WD-40 [/quote]

You dont have any problem with WD forming a coating inside the barrel? I recently re-cleaned a Blackhawk .44mag after previously only using WD-40 (all I had on hand at the time) and when I ran a brass brush through it, I got a plastic looking film that came out. Figured it was from the WD.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:56 pm 

juxtposed2 wrote:
[quote="rmcelwee"Then I follow it up with WD-40

You dont have any problem with WD forming a coating inside the barrel? I recently re-cleaned a Blackhawk .44mag after previously only using WD-40 (all I had on hand at the time) and when I ran a brass brush through it, I got a plastic looking film that came out. Figured it was from the WD.[/quote]

Never noticed any coating. To clarify - I rinse it out with steam (used to just run a water hose and soak it that way), then I blow it dry with compressed air, then I run WD-40 through it to remove any water that might exist and let that drip dry. Then I chase it with Rem Oil and let that drip dry. Hardly ever run a snake or anything through it but haven't noticed any buildup when I do.

I guess my question is:

Will it take me 45 minutes of cleaning every time I shoot corrosive ammo in the AK?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:45 am 

I shoot surplus in my 54r. i found that it makes it easier when cleaning to go ahead and remove the trigger and hammer group so you can really spray out all the gunk easily. I would reccomend buying a brush that fits in the gas tube nice and tight (I found a long plastic one at lowes).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:59 am 

I shoot corrosive surplus in my Vepr, my M44, and my 91/30.

All have been previously treated and cleaned with Ballistol. It basically soaks into the "pores" of the metal and "seasons" it. I think Froglube has been reported to do the same, but I've never used it.

What this results in, is that all the metal "repels" all the dirt and corrosives - its caught in the oil. Makes it extremely easy to clean with just a few cleaning cloths with Ballistol oil, or wiping down parts with a rag with the oil.

When I shoot corrosives, just to be sure, I spray down all parts immediately after the range, barrel, and gas tubes with aerosol Ballistol, let them sit for a bit, then come back and clean them up as I would any other firearm. Hardly takes any time, as the more times you apply Ballistol oil, it seems the more the metal is "seasoned", and the less you have to clean in the future.

All of my firearms that shoot corrosive are still in excellent condition.

I've also heard that Windex down the barrel and gas tubes, as well as hot, soapy water does the trick. However, I try to simplify things into "less steps", and Ballistol has worked out for me on many levels.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:40 pm 

I run 54r and i have shot nothing but corrosive ammo through it. After shooting it I just brake it down spray it with windex not the all purpase stuff just the glass cleaner with ammonia. the ammonia is not for the salts just works better to help clean it. After i brake it down I throw all the small parts in a plastic jug then spray the rest of the gun down with the windex then bring it in the shower and spray it down well. Then just clean as normal. I go a little extra but my gun looks good as new.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:34 pm 

Actually a water and Ballistol (80% water 20% Ballistol)mixture is the best for cleaning the barrel and gas system right after shooting. Pour in bottle and take t the range with you. After shooting, shake the bottle and spray or pour liberally over and into the rifle. Water will wash the salts away and the Ballistol will protect the metal from moisture until you get a chance to clean it at your leisure (Withing a couple of days of shooting).

I also have used boiling hot water and it does a bang up job washing all the salts out of the gun. Also the boiling hot water evaporates quickly and reduces that chances of corrosion from moisture.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:24 pm 

I pee down the barrel after eating lots of bacon. The pee washes away the salts, and the pee evaporates leaving bacon grease to protect the bore. :o It's how the Russians did it, that's how I'll do it.