THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:38 am 

Picked up a Super Vepr in .223 from my FFL this past weekend, ordered it from centerfireguns. Even though I thought I'd be getting the sort with the side rail and standard barrel, I got a fluted barrel and top mount one made in April 2012. Was pleasantly surprised to find some 10rd mags in the box instead of the advertised 5rd mags as well. Ordered a few 30rd SGM Saiga .223 mags since I wanted some extendos but didn't want to modify the rifle itself. Once I finally get around to taking a Dremel to the Saiga mags, I might document that some a little here too, though that's not why I'm making this thread.

The Super Vepr is supposed to have a spring pop the mags out when the release is hit, correct? Mine right now is a two-handed affair, have to hit the mag release and then manually pull out the mag. The assisted mag release was a big selling point for me since I don't like taking out short AK mags by hand, something I'd be using more often than not in the Vepr. Certainly a bummer that I've been let down there, but still am pleased that the gun's feel so far actually matches what it was being hyped as. Fits me great and is just feels really well made. The mag release is my only real issue with the gun so far, didn't get to shoot it yet either thanks to some freezing rain.

I'm out of town right now so I don't have access to the gun at the moment, but do you guys know what might be causing me my issues here?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:21 am 

It's a little disappointing to make a thread asking a question and then answering it before anyone's had the chance to reply, but at least I've got an answer now.

This isn't my vepr in this pic, but it shows the problem area well enough. I don't know if it's an issue with Super Veprs made before a certain date or if it's something you'll find only on the .308 Super, but the Veprs that do have the drop free mag have a spring-loaded pin at the mag release. My .223 Super Vepr doesn't have the pin or any of the tweaks that would go along with adding a pin in the first place.

I might end up just posting some pics of my Vepr or something useful in this thread once I'm back in town, there's not much info on the .223 Super out there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:00 am 

Thanks for letting us know what you discovered. This is good information, the picture should help make it clear to anyone else who is wondering the same thing. You are correct, there is not a lot of information on the Vepr Super out there, anything you can add is appreciated. And of course we love pictures!