THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:48 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:38 pm
Posts: 1907
Location: Arkansas, USA (NWA)
I'm in unfamiliar territory here, but what's with such high magnification? A lot of guys shoot competitively at 1000 meters with 10x magnification. I would think a DMR would need a wide field of view (FOV) for quick follow up and switching targets easily. I'd guess 10x or 12x would be more than enough. I don't know the definition, but I'd think the DMR would be implemented between 100 - 800 meters. Is this incorrect? I'd go for a fixed 10x or a 6-10x or 6-12x maybe. Don't you get a more robust optic and a lot more glass for your money if you go fixed or a smaller zoom range? Doesn't the zoom cause a shift in optical hold over and such? Please tell me if I have it all wrong! ;)

I understand high magnification for a bench gun, but we are talking about a DMR that must adapt quickly and seemlessly over a broad range of "medium" long-distances. Not trying to threadjack. I just need to be educated on this, I guess...

_________________
Click this link to access Amazon. Costs you nothing, but Vepr.org gets paid a little every time you purchase this way. Help keep the lights on here for free. THANKS!!! http://amzn.to/2muRjz9

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:02 pm
Posts: 22
Nephilim7 wrote:
I'm in unfamiliar territory here, but what's with such high magnification? A lot of guys shoot competitively at 1000 meters with 10x magnification. I would think a DMR would need a wide field of view (FOV) for quick follow up and switching targets easily. I'd guess 10x or 12x would be more than enough. I don't know the definition, but I'd think the DMR would be implemented between 100 - 800 meters. Is this incorrect? I'd go for a fixed 10x or a 6-10x or 6-12x maybe. Don't you get a more robust optic and a lot more glass for your money if you go fixed or a smaller zoom range? Doesn't the zoom cause a shift in optical hold over and such? Please tell me if I have it all wrong! ;)

I understand high magnification for a bench gun, but we are talking about a DMR that must adapt quickly and seemlessly over a broad range of "medium" long-distances. Not trying to threadjack. I just need to be educated on this, I guess...



Hi.
I think you are correct. But as i said i never owned or used a scope before. I wanted something with a wide variety , so the 4x16 gives me that. Once i know what zoom i use the most , i will upgrade for a fixed more rugged scope. Probably a POSP for the VEPR . And this Mueller will stay as a bench scope if i ever get into that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:13 am
Posts: 1738
Location: Great State of Pennsylvania
Nephilim7 wrote:
I'm in unfamiliar territory here, but what's with such high magnification? A lot of guys shoot competitively at 1000 meters with 10x magnification. I would think a DMR would need a wide field of view (FOV) for quick follow up and switching targets easily. I'd guess 10x or 12x would be more than enough. I don't know the definition, but I'd think the DMR would be implemented between 100 - 800 meters. Is this incorrect? I'd go for a fixed 10x or a 6-10x or 6-12x maybe. Don't you get a more robust optic and a lot more glass for your money if you go fixed or a smaller zoom range? Doesn't the zoom cause a shift in optical hold over and such? Please tell me if I have it all wrong! ;)

I understand high magnification for a bench gun, but we are talking about a DMR that must adapt quickly and seemlessly over a broad range of "medium" long-distances. Not trying to threadjack. I just need to be educated on this, I guess...



Age? Lol....

_________________
Guns are worthless if you can't feed them....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:38 pm
Posts: 1907
Location: Arkansas, USA (NWA)
OP: I see. Sounds like a reasonable plan! Thanks for clarifying. 8-) Since you're new to scopes, know that initial setup is extremely important. You can mess up an optic (break it) if you do it wrong. At the very least you can really limit the function and usefulness if mounted incorrectly. There is a video on YouTube I'd suggest you follow in the least. It may seem ridiculous, but the way he does it is worth doing. I'm sure there are other and better ways, but this is a decent approach and what I'd suggest as the bare minimum to properly mount a scope. https://youtu.be/COoXVpGfXQE


Mike: Are you asking me what is my age? I think your post was over my head...

_________________
Click this link to access Amazon. Costs you nothing, but Vepr.org gets paid a little every time you purchase this way. Help keep the lights on here for free. THANKS!!! http://amzn.to/2muRjz9

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:13 am
Posts: 1738
Location: Great State of Pennsylvania
No. Lol. The older you get the more you rely on optics.Now you know why I appreciate shotguns so much. Ha haa

_________________
Guns are worthless if you can't feed them....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:36 am
Posts: 341
Location: Interlochen, MI
I've raved about Mueller scopes on this forum for a while. I have two of them (4.5-14 and the 8-32 side focus)and LOVE em. The field of view and clarity are exceptional for the price. The APV is on my .308 and has held zero with hundreds+ of rounds through her. I do want to try a Redfield Revolution, as I keep hearing really good things about them too.

You mentioned mounts...VERY important. The Belarus bp 02 has worked best for me and the low rise Molot mounts are highly praised. STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP MOUNTS..I went thru 3 or 4 el-crapo mounts (UTG, Midwest clones, etc) they just WONT hold zero and the locking/clamping system breaks easily.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:02 pm
Posts: 22
juxtposed2 wrote:
I've raved about Mueller scopes on this forum for a while. I have two of them (4.5-14 and the 8-32 side focus)and LOVE em. The field of view and clarity are exceptional for the price. The APV is on my .308 and has held zero with hundreds+ of rounds through her. I do want to try a Redfield Revolution, as I keep hearing really good things about them too.

You mentioned mounts...VERY important. The Belarus bp 02 has worked best for me and the low rise Molot mounts are highly praised. STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP MOUNTS..I went thru 3 or 4 el-crapo mounts (UTG, Midwest clones, etc) they just WONT hold zero and the locking/clamping system breaks easily.


I got the cheap mounts to customize it for my OPAP, as regular AK mounts dont fit.
So as for now i am stuck with my cheep mounts.. :( + cheep ebay rings
I really dont like to invest for a more expensive rail mount. I think once i figure out what magnification i like to use, i will go with a POSP or other russian style scope without the rail for more authentic look.
Nephilim7 , thanks for the video, some helpful advise there!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:02 pm
Posts: 22
Hi again.
So i got the mueller 4-16x50 scope used on ebay.
I went out today the first time to try it . I can see small black spots, mainly around the center. It gets really visible if i turn up the magnification high.
I tried to make a picture, but it hard to see. I wiped the lenses with lens cleaner wet wipes, but just the same.
Any advice?
Dirt, damaged coating?
Image

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:13 am
Posts: 1738
Location: Great State of Pennsylvania
Pint wrote:
Hi again.
So i got the mueller 4-16x50 scope used on ebay.
I went out today the first time to try it . I can see small black spots, mainly around the center. It gets really visible if i turn up the magnification high.
I tried to make a picture, but it hard to see. I wiped the lenses with lens cleaner wet wipes, but just the same.
Any advice?
Dirt, damaged coating?
Image

Thanks


Those are mildots for windage and elevation. They are supposed to be there.

_________________
Guns are worthless if you can't feed them....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:36 am
Posts: 341
Location: Interlochen, MI
Commie I think he is referring to the tiny, barely visible dots around the crosshairs.
Mueller claims to stand behind their products. I would contact them http://muelleroptics.com/contact-us.
If they DONT credit you or send you a new scope, PLEASE reply here. I'm a big fan and would like to know how well they backup their warranties.
Good luck and sorry to hear about that. It's the first fail of theirs I've heard of.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group