THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:21 pm 

Hi.
I am new to optics. Only used irons and red dot.
I ordered a VEPR 7.62x54R 23" What i will to Dragunov style stocks. And i have a DSA SA58 .308 21"
I would like to set them up for as DMR rifles. Not because i need one (or 2) , i love the the style :roll:
So , i was looking to get a budget illuminated MIL dot scope to get a feel of it. A would like to use the same scope on both rifle.
Would a Mueller 4-16x50mm AO Tactical a good choice ? Or is overkill to get such a big scope?
http://muelleroptics.com/mt41650igr

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:52 pm 
Business Member

I've personally used Mueller scopes on many rim-fire rifles as that is a bit of an obsession of mine.
The one time I mounted a Mueller a .308 bolt rifle the insides were beat loose on the second range session.
Have you looks at the primary arms line of scopes? Not sure if they fall into your search criteria but they make a good product that doesn't break the bank.
-Jay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:36 pm 

Thanks.
Budget is one of the main goal on my first scope. I want something what will hold up, and i can use it on different rifles. Something basic with illumination. Once i learned what i really want from a scope, i just put this on my AR , and get a better scope for the DMR setup.
You think this PA scope would work better than the Mueller?
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_16X44_Illuminated_Mil_Dot_Scope_p/pa416x.htm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:58 pm 

I have used Tasco and Mueller scopes for years. I've had both on my 54rs without failure. The Mueller ones have far superior optics in comparison. I currently have a Mueller 4-16x40 on my 7mm Rem mag and a 4-12x50 on my V308.Im getting ready to put a Mueller 8.5-25x50 on my Savage 223 Bolt action.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:56 pm 

Yes, i read a good review about Mueller. The PA scope has over 100 good review lot of guys using it on 308. Is the 44mm vs 50mm a big difference? Is it 225$vs160$ big?
Sorry for all hte questions, but i am a noob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:21 am 

It's not that much of a difference.Just make sure you get the proper rings so your optics don't sit to high.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:29 am 

You can look for good deals on Muellers on Ebay.They post factory test scopes on there for considerably less. I have also used Simmons scopes. They are budget scopes but I've never had any problems with them either.My Veprs did blow up a couple of Bushnells that I had lying around from yesteryear.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:21 am 

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I found and got a used Muller on ebay.
http://muelleroptics.com/mt41650igr

I hope it works out.
I let you know when i tried it.
By the time , can you guys tell me what rings to use? I have a cheap UTG mount, and a Midway knockoff what i was intended to use on my OPAP.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:54 am 

I put a Redfield on my 54r Vepr and have put a few thousand rounds through that rifle and the scope itself has never provided a single problem. My dad really likes Nikon and I have a couple because of that but I much prefer the Redfield.

As for illuminated and 50mm, I did put a Leupold on an AR-15 (the single most expensive thing on the entire home built rifle) and it is amazing. The clarity of the glass is just wonderful.

Of the things I felt like I've learned over the years, quality glass and a quality mount for the glass matter.

I will never bother to get expensive glass for my Vepr because the nice low profile mount I have for it (and really like) requires me to take it off and reinstall when I clean the rifle. Taking it off and putting it back on requires adjustment (i.e. re-zero). While I'm always at least minute of Nazi after reinstalling the glass, I'm generally more than MOA.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:57 am 

Well. Now i just go with the Mueller.
I think the 4-16x50mm is overkill for me. I was about to get a POSP 4x24 fixed. I think its enough magnification for me, but as i said i want to try the scope on the FAL too, so i need a universal mount scope.
I hope the Mueller will work , and help me to learn what i really want from a scope.
I post some pics when i am all set up.
Thank You guys for the all the input!