THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 10:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:17 pm 
Big Sal

Anyone who knows me, knows I typically field German or Russian optics. While I have owned a chinese red dot or two before (both of which were unacceptable for one reason or another) I have never owned a Chinese built scope. A few weeks ago while BS-ing in chat, I made a snap judgment to pick up a Savage MKII FV-SR in 22lr. My initial thought was to put a high end piece of glass on it and call it a day. Well, fast forward to last week, I decided that the optic I was going to field was better suited for another project.

There I sat, no optic on my little 22 bolt gun. With only $170 in the bank, I decided to look into Primary Arms as a stop-gap solution until I could buy something of value. So, I picked up a refurbished 4-14x44 Mil/Mil FFP which primary arms assured me was re QC'ed and met original specs save some dings on the sides. I wanted to talk about the scope a bit now, and again after I shoot with it more.

SOME POSITIVE IMPRESSIONS
:
1. The internet is filled with people parroting the line that the turret clicks are "mushy" and that one cannot feel or hear transitions. I found this to be untrue. The clicks are distinct and audible. They certainly dont match the tactile feel of high end scopes, but they mimic some of the mid range Japanese units ive played with.
2. The reticle choice is excellent. I was also happy to see mil turrets to accompany the mil dot reticle.

SOME NEGATIVE IMPRESSIONS:

1: The glass is bad. Really bad. I noticed fuzzy distortion at the margins while at the highest magnification. This becomes more and more of an issue at greater distances.
2: The eye relief is unforgiving.
3: While the clicks are fine (see above), the hash marks dont always sync up to body. Id imagine this is an easy fix for the factory, and if it isnt, I would be happy to lend them some measuring tape...

SOME THINGS TO TEST NEXT WEEK:
1: I will try a basic box test, and expect it to perform perfectly given the experience of others.
2: Id like to dunk this thing in water and test the seal and nitrogen purge, but frankly, I am a bit afraid that will degrade the multi-coating on the glass itself.
3: I want to drop this thing (with some lens caps on it to protect the glass) and see if the internals hold up to the impact shock.
4: I also want to get some good photos and put them up.