THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 5:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:53 pm 

Picked up a savage mark II FV. Doesn't have sights so it requires a scope. Drilled and tapped for rings. Question is what's a good budget scope that I can use to practice up to 100 yards? Looking to keep price of scope and rings to roughly $100. Buying my first house in 6 weeks and need everything so money is tight. Not too knowledgable about optics. Mainly shot irons growing up.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:22 pm 

UTG Bug Buster 3-9x has loads of features for around that price. Check it out on Amazon if you like. I just got one and really like it. It is also highly recommended on certain rimfire forum...

It takes a little work and checking of clearances, but the UTG high rings can be used to mount this scope to a Nodak Spud rail/peep combo. FYI, not super easy but so sweet when accomplished. That way you have an adjustible power illuminated scope with mil-dots, adjustible paralax, and QD rings that can drop off to use the peep sight. I beleive it can also be used with both eyes open and the illumination turned on and front scope cover closed as a rudimentary red dot aiming device. Pretty cool! 8-)

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:05 pm 

Will definitely look into UTG. Reviews seem to be hit or miss. Mostly with reticles not being seated properly. Probably a bad batch or something. But when you do wind it messes with elevation and vice versa

Does anyone have experience with pursuit or tasco scopes? Guess tasco makes pursuit for bass pro shops. They have a 3-9x40 for relatively cheap. Like 70 dollars. Just easy to get the scope the same place and time I get the gun.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:44 pm 
Generally Butt Naked

I had a $25 tasco scope that worked ok on a .22 I had but I wouldn't put it on anything larger, for $70 I'd look into a used bushnell, I've had good experiences with their range finders and their scopes seem to be some of the best of the cheap ones.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:20 am 

Is eBay the best place for used scopes? It's just a plinker/target gun. Not going to be used for hunting

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:57 am 

bwilde86 wrote:
Is eBay the best place for used scopes? It's just a plinker/target gun. Not going to be used for hunting

yeah but also check your local craigslist and armslist. No listing fees so sometimes you can score really good deals.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:51 am 

If I buy a used optic will I get the warranty still? Like the Nikon pro staff has a lifetime warranty.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:21 am 

I've had good luck with several cheap .22 scopes. IMO the cheap tasco type units with 50mm front objective tend to have large forgiving fields of view and eye relief. Often, I find them easier to use than high dollar rifle scopes I have tried. They may not have the highest optical clarity numbers, but they feel stable and make finding a target quick and easy. Good for beginners and old hands.

I recall seeing something by tasco or simmons of that description at walmart for around $35 that would probably do well.

shotguns, some gunsmithing, reloading, fabrication, knife making, etc.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/armaggedonite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:05 pm 
Big Sal

Ive looked through two Tasco scopes. One looked extremely decent but was realy old and had a made in Japan label on it. The other I look at at walmart and was complete junk. Ive lookd through one Vortex crossfire series and it seems OK for a low end scope. Ive now shot with two Nikon scopes and both were janky and overly dark.

Right around $100 I am real bullish on the Redfield Revolution series. Granted they are around $150ish but are a leap above the Vortex (chinese) offerings. The Redfield Revolution units are built in Oregon (at the Leupold factory) if that matters to you.

Best of luck and whatever you decide, POST PICS AND RANGE REPORT!!! 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:17 pm 

Tasco sticks labels on stuff made by other companies. Opinion about one tasco product doesn't really relate much to another.

On the other hand, I was given a cheap ~$30 scope when I was 15, and it works great, and is frankly easier to spot targets inside 200 yards than the fancy scope that you had on your model 700. It's spent most of its life with the cap from the bottom of a flashlight doing service as an adjustment cap too. Classy? No. Easy to shoot well? Yes.

shotguns, some gunsmithing, reloading, fabrication, knife making, etc.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/armaggedonite