THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:05 am 

It's been a while since I did any research on here (+6months) so I honestly forgot everything I previously learned.

I am looking to spend up to $400 on some nice optics for my 54R. If you had to buy a specific scope or a red dot, which one would you purchase??

I know there are a lot of similar threads about this, but I would like to narrow all of the options down. I would prefer a PSO or PSOP. There are so many options at Kalinka though. Please help.

EDIT: I can't imagine myself needing to shoot out to 1000yds that often, so preferable something with a more practical magnification would be awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:22 pm 

Mag not required? Prefer Russian optics, or doesn't matter?

At $400, that limits a lot of the options like the Rakurs or the Obzor. If red dot is they way you want to go, the PKA-Venezualen model is the real deal and fit's into your budget. It's a legit military grade piece of hardware that will stand up to the 54R recoil. Currently using it on my 308 and only downside is it doesn't cowitness on my Vepr. The PK-01V's are nice too, and cheaper, but the mount doesn't compare. Both have very nice defined dots and durable.

For magnified Russian optics, it's hard to beat the POSP. Currently using the 8X independent focus model on my 54R now. Price is right and it's working very well. Don't have a PSO so can't give advice about it. Been eyeing the PSO 6 x 36, but it seems pricey compared to the POSP. Some say the PSO's are better quality, but I'd need to look through one and compare.

Beyond the Russian hardware, I like Nikon scopes. Affordable and good glass quality. They're not made to go to war or anything like you'll find on Kalinka's website, but with a decent mount they make for a very nice range and hunting set up. /sct

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:22 pm 

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arm ... ps1-6x.htm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:03 am 

PSO-1 or 54R POSP 4x24.

For a DMR they are work as designed and do very well once you learn how to shoot with them.

Z

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:14 pm 

sct7.62 wrote:
Mag not required? Prefer Russian optics, or doesn't matter?

At $400, that limits a lot of the options like the Rakurs or the Obzor. If red dot is they way you want to go, the PKA-Venezualen model is the real deal and fit's into your budget. It's a legit military grade piece of hardware that will stand up to the 54R recoil. Currently using it on my 308 and only downside is it doesn't cowitness on my Vepr. The PK-01V's are nice too, and cheaper, but the mount doesn't compare. Both have very nice defined dots and durable.

For magnified Russian optics, it's hard to beat the POSP. Currently using the 8X independent focus model on my 54R now. Price is right and it's working very well. Don't have a PSO so can't give advice about it. Been eyeing the PSO 6 x 36, but it seems pricey compared to the POSP. Some say the PSO's are better quality, but I'd need to look through one and compare.

Beyond the Russian hardware, I like Nikon scopes. Affordable and good glass quality. They're not made to go to war or anything like you'll find on Kalinka's website, but with a decent mount they make for a very nice range and hunting set up. /sct

Awesome, I was looking for a bit at the PKA Venez., and it seems like some legit hardware. What kind of accuracy are you getting with the 8X?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:15 pm 

MrPunem wrote:
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-1-6X-Scope-with-Patented-ACSS-Reticle-p/paps1-6x.htm

Thank you for the suggestion. Do you have any personal experience with this scope? Will it stand up to the 54R recoil?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:17 pm 

TX-Zen wrote:
PSO-1 or 54R POSP 4x24.

For a DMR they are work as designed and do very well once you learn how to shoot with them.

Z

Are any of these considered the PSO-1?

http://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scopes/pso.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:06 am 

My 54R accuracy is kind of variable. Mostly shooting commercial brown bear now. My 308 is the more accurate of the two. Just swapped the optics between them today and got almost the same accuracy out of the 54R as when it had the posp. Good thing is the PKA-Venezuela will just barely co witness on the 54R because it has the version 01 sights, whereas my 308 doesn't. It really needs some trigger work.

Probably can't go wrong with any of the suggestions given. It's hard to have only one optic, though.. Good luck and post pics once you get it. /sct

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:48 pm 

For scopes.. nikon monarch.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nikon-Mo ... 570552.uts

For red dot, the pk-01 vi ...

http://www.defenseimportsolutions.com/h ... s/pk-01-vi