THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:33 pm 

Gents,

Thought I'd share a quick review on the PO4x24P-2

I had written a long time ago of a prototype optic from BelOMO called PO4x24P which at that time was an interesting and rare optic. I thought it had potential for AK's but in classic BelOMO style it ended up being on the heavy side when mated to a typical Russian side rail mount...almost as heavy as the PO 3.5x21P.

Years later BelOMO has produced a new variant called PO 4x24P-2...this time with an integral AK mount. After getting to play with this at the range the other other day I instantly fell in love with it...definitely the best overall magnified optic that BelOMO has put out in the US so far, in my opinion. This optic is lighter than than PO 3.5x21P and is smaller but still packs the same amazing glass quality and an excellent field of view. It's actually so compact that it is nearly the same size as 1P78 Kashtan, and (for BelOMO) is amazingly lighter by a half ounce. (23.5 vs 24)

One of the great things about PO 3.5x21P is the excellent reticule design which allows you to use the boresight cross to zero at 100m, then use the large chevron for actual shooting thereafter. By doing this PO 3.5x21P automatically gives you the 400m zero concept that the AK74 is intended to use. PO4x24P-2 has the same reticule and will be just as easy to use. I for one always loved this about PO 3.5 but all things considered it's on the heavy side and the effectiveness of the reticule is offset by the weight of the optic. These days you can have your cake and eat it too though because PO4x24P-2 is so much lighter. Basically think of it as an evolutionary improvement of PO 3.5x21P. It's also battery illuminated in classic BelOMO style.

I have to say I think this is a very well designed optic and a serious contender to Kashtan. If BelOMO's track record of importing holds true it is likely that these will generally be more available than NPZ has been, so I am hopeful that PO4x24P-2 will be brought in large numbers like PO 3.5x21P and will be as common.

PO4x24P2-01 AK Mount with prototype Weaver mount (Shown on Midwest Industries rail)

Excellent reticule design. You can see the standard height based range finder as well as the width based range finder. Older soviet optics used 1.7m as the height of a standard man but new designs changed to 1.5m because soldiers tended to align the range finder from feet to shoulders instead of feet to head as originally intended.

Comparison of PO 3.5x21P (top), PO 4x24P Weaver on NPZ (left) and 1P78 Kashtan (Right)

Weaver version with NPZ mount

If you like 5.45 AK optics I think this will be a definite keeper. Hopefully there will be 7.62 versions brought in at some point. While I don't know if they are available right now BelOMO typically does manufacture them and they trickle in here and there.

Also forgot to add but you can cowitness the PO 4x24P-2 with the Trijcon RMR08. This is a much smoother combination than PO 3.5x21P and AKSU (though obviously these are only a coincidence) that I discovered fooling around with the optics.

I experimented a long time ago with the PO 3.5x21P and AKSU with T-1 Aimpoint on the Stormwerks rail and it worked out even though heavy and somewhat weird looking.

Z

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:32 pm 
Big Sal

Great write-up as usual Z. What kind of battery life can we expect out of this one?

best,
DSP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:13 pm 

Nice write up! Thanks!

Have you developed any thoughts on which is better... this or a Kashtan for a 5.45 weapon?

Really like that 105ish weapon you have with all the cutting edge Russian furniture and top rail. Nice!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:19 pm 

Any idea when they'll be available? price?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:23 am 

Not sure on battery life I haven't done any testing on magnified optics yet. My travel schedule is much lighter this year so I might be able to do another test though.

My top three optics no questions are Kashtan, Obzor and Rakurs but PO4x24P-2 just made #4. I rank it in the same category as Kashtan but it is actually slightly different...Kashtan has a simpler reticule but has the amber tint which helps for low light shooting and for reducing eye fatigue (PSO-1 has an amber filter cap for this purpose, and the Romanian LPS/TIP2 has a similar built in amber tin as Kashtan), but PO4x24P-2 has the very nifty 400m zero reticule which makes it easy to shoot small close range targets accurately (by using the boresight cross vs the large chevron) and still enables the 400m zero concept to work.

I am very impressed with PO4x24P-2 but still give Kashtan a slight edge...but not much really. They are very nearly equivalent.

Price may unfortunately be in the $600 range which is higher than I originally heard. Nothing is cheap in Russia these days and Kashtan is selling for $600 USD over there right now. Add in import costs and shipping and you can see why the days of really cheap combloc optics are almost over. Sad face...but it is what it is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:26 am 

Ol'Sarge2K wrote:

Really like that 105ish weapon you have with all the cutting edge Russian furniture and top rail. Nice!

It is pretty cool. Even though I'm not really a tactical guy I dig this quite a bit:

I do like PT-1 Klassika also but I tend to prefer the poly over most stocks these days

Z

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:55 am 

Great info as always Z.

How's the eye relief, compared to the Kashtan? About the same?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:21 am 

Great write up. Very interested in this optic. The kashtan is a great scope, but I prefer the PO 3.5x21 recticle, just not the bulky size/weight and slightly higher mount position. This optic seems like it offers both smaller size and the easy reticle plus higher mag. /sct

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:23 am 

hilljack wrote:
Great info as always Z.

How's the eye relief, compared to the Kashtan? About the same?

I think so yes, but to be honest I rarely notice eye relief these days. I guess after many years I just orient to what the scope needs and don't pay much attention after that.

Z