THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:30 am 

I've got a POSP 6x42 lux scope for my vepr in x54r. I don't mind the scope's left had offset too much, but I'd much rather have a scope sit directly above the bore. Are there any SVD style mounts that seat the scope in the center of the rifle? I've seen Texas Weapon Systems' 'dog leg mount' and it looks pretty interesting, but I'm skeptical about it holding a zero with a decent posp scope. Comments, opinions, suggestions... They are all appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:41 am 
Business Member

How far left is the offset?

If it isn't too much offset and there is no lower that will achieve the result you desire, maybe you could have the lower portion of the mount milled to allow the upper to sit further to the right. I have no experience with the mount that comes with your scope, but from the pics I have looked at, it appears that there may be room to lose a little material on the lower without compromising the structural integrity of it. I could be wrong though.

evl....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:55 pm 

The distance from center bore to the center of the scope lens is 1.5 inches. I've already considered milling it, but it looks like there are two screws that won't line back up if I do.
I think that this is a little hopeless. Any lower mount piece that sits this scope over the receiver will theoretically just 'lean' it over and tilt the whole thing. Imagine trying to use a BDC with THAT set up! Maybe I'll just try to find someone to trade for a weaver style posp and go from there

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:46 pm 

I have a BP02 that is "supposed" to be centered - but while closer, it still isn't centered. I think you'll need to look at the "RS" mounts as I've heard they are truly centered. The PSOP's are situated off-center as a means of keeping the iron sights available for use. I don't know how other makes of mounts deal with that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:26 am 
Business Member

I have the MOLOT railed mount and the MOLOT forward mount with 1" rings. Both are perfectly centered on my .308. Of course, I have to use regular ring mount optics though. I have never liked the whole offset scope situation. That is the main thing that has deterred me from the foreign military optics.

I agree, that is fairly extreme regarding offset. I couldn't live with it either. Also, I thought it was the one with the screws that attach the upper portion of the mount to the lower portion of the mount with horizontal screws from the side.

evl....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:53 am 

It does have those two sets of screws. I'm just going to leave it be though. If I can make anything off of this scope, I'll invest in a Molot extra low profile mount from kalinka or where ever is cheapest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:52 pm 
Business Member

Our AK-300 modular side mount system is the only one guarenteed to be directly over-bore on any AK- VEPR's included.

You can also pick them up from Kalinka.
I use an AK-303 lower and AKR upper on my Vepr 54r.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:40 pm 

Horse wrote:
Our AK-300 modular side mount system is the only one guarenteed to be directly over-bore on any AK- VEPR's included.

Does that include the Hunter/Super/Pioneer?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:32 pm 

Horse wrote:

I do like this mount, and the fact that it's centered, but when using a scope, does it allow cowitnessing with say an 8x scope? Or more accurately, do the sights obstruct the view of a mounted scope? (this would be undesirable for me) Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:34 am 

I use this one:

http://kalinkaoptics.com/mounts/svd-psl ... -rail.html

Close enough to center for me.......for an AK.