THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:27 am 
Big Sal

Earlier this week I had a chance to go shooting with forum members Dudethebagman and A.R.T. Having just picked up a PK-AS in a trade, I thought it would be neat to get a picture visually comparing it with Dude's Aimpoint PRO.

There are plenty of reviews of both of these optics elsewhere, but I wanted to convey that my impression of the PK-AS was extremely favorable. The build quality was decent, the "always on" black dot was crisp and noticeable in the Idaho midday sun, and the glass quality was adequate.

Concerns and a Question:
I dont mind the offset mount as it allowed the use of the iron sights, however, my eyes perceived a slight magnification (maybe 1.1-1.2x) which made for an uneasy quick transition from optic to irons. All of the specs ive seen online seem to indicate the unit is a true 1x, does anyone else perceive a slight magnification with their PK-AS?

best,
Sal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:45 am 

Man, great to see pics of the PK-AS on your rig.
I have owned a few of these and they are all that way. They do seem to have the slightest amount of magnificaton.
I think its due to the prismatic lense system that it uses. Rakurs is this way as well only rakurs makes images slightly smaller.
Seems that the lense system that makes for the wide field of view seems to also make the optics have slight magnification up or down.
Once you play with it a bit it becomes mostly unnoticeable.

FYI.. PK-AS is much closer to true 1X than Rakurs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:53 am 
Big Sal

fearrainsdown wrote:
Man, great to see pics of the PK-AS on your rig.
I have owned a few of these and they are all that way. They do seem to have the slightest amount of magnificaton.
I think its due to the prismatic lense system that it uses. Rakurs is this way as well only rakurs makes images slightly smaller.
Seems that the lense system that makes for the wide field of view seems to also make the optics have slight magnification up or down.
Once you play with it a bit it becomes mostly unnoticeable.

FYI.. PK-AS is much closer to true 1X than Rakurs.

Good to know man. I am considering the Rakurs weaver version for an AR15 I own.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:40 pm 

Hi all, I fell in love with PK-AS but the problem is that I don't find it anywhere. Can someone help me? :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:30 pm 
Big Sal

paolo.SAR wrote:
Hi all, I fell in love with PK-AS but the problem is that I don't find it anywhere. Can someone help me? :)

I would go on gunbroker and email user "ok131583". He is my go to optics guy.
If he doesnt have any, or a source for any, try emailing eastwave.ca

good luck man!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:59 pm 

guys, I may have one for ya...let me check my stash of commie optics ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:40 pm 

I love my PK-AS that I've had on my SLR-107FR for several years now. Everyone that gets a chance to shoot the rifle comments on how easy it is to use the sight. It's also very intuitive for beginning shooters. My only regret buying it was that I bought the one that is on a BP-02 mount. I now wish I'd bought the left offset version.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:29 pm 
Big Sal

dr.bandy wrote:
I love my PK-AS that I've had on my SLR-107FR for several years now. Everyone that gets a chance to shoot the rifle comments on how easy it is to use the sight. It's also very intuitive for beginning shooters. My only regret buying it was that I bought the one that is on a BP-02 mount. I now wish I'd bought the left offset version.

My only beef with it was that it was a real pain in the you-know-what to sight in. But I liked the offset version a lot. It had a real Comm-block feel to it! 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:32 am 

BigSal wrote:
dr.bandy wrote:

My only beef with it was that it was a real pain in the you-know-what to sight in. But I liked the offset version a lot. It had a real Comm-block feel to it! 8-)

Lol, yep! I remember the day well. Fire three rounds, remove the sight, loosen the locking nut, adjust the sight, rinse, curse, repeat. Haha, since then though it's been rock solid and held good zero.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:27 pm 

You have to remove the optic to sight it in?