THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:59 pm 

I recently purchased a VEPR 12 semi automatic shotgun for home and perimeter protection. Not going to do any hunting with it, no plinking and only to the range periodically to maintain proficiency maybe every other month. The only rounds going down range will be slugs and 00 buck. I want to possibly add either an optic or a scope, not sure which but leaning red dot optic. So here's my question and I hope you can shed great light upon this topic with your recommendations.

1. Which would be the best option if this weapon is primarily used for home defense?

2. If you have a recommendation, can you suggest a good entry level and one that is a step above. Feel free to share your reasons why.

Thank you for the feedback.

Slug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:13 am 

No scope. Red dot or nothing. Make it small and mount fully to the rear of the top rail if you want to avoid failure of empty hulls to clear the breach. Hear the Holosun optics are really nice and affordable. Cheapest I'd go...

Would recommend a weapon light as well. 150 lumen or less and very broad throw. Don't want to blind yourself indoors, and this will still illuminate out to 75 yd well enough. Plenty for a shotgun.

Be sure to read the ammo sticky by GunFun. Some slugs and buck can cause problems. Need to make sure of your weapons pressure base line and use ammo a step or two above that.

Also, I suggest #4 buck or #1 buck over 00 every time. More lethal loads. 00 is preferred by many only because of Hollywood hype and hearsay/tradition.

Just some things to think about!

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:21 pm 

Nephilim7 wrote:
No scope. Red dot or nothing. Make it small and mount fully to the rear of the top rail if you want to avoid failure of empty hulls to clear the breach. Hear the Holosun optics are really nice and affordable. Cheapest I'd go...

Ditto, the Holosun is what I have been looking at. Can't decide which to get, the hs503cu, or the hs510c. I love them both and will decide this weekend.

Would recommend a weapon light as well. 150 lumen or less and very broad throw. Don't want to blind yourself indoors, and this will still illuminate out to 75 yd well enough. Plenty for a shotgun.

150 lumens? No no, no sir, not me. Ever had to clear a 10,000 sq ft barn with a 500 lb black bear inside? High lumens can be just as effective in some scenarios as a bullet. I hit it with my 1,000 lumen Fenix then I hit the strobe. The bear instantly ran and snorting. Ran into everything going back out. Me personally, I'd never buy anything that weak, but to each his own.

Be sure to read the ammo sticky by GunFun. Some slugs and buck can cause problems. Need to make sure of your weapons pressure base line and use ammo a step or two above that.

Yes, I did read it.

Also, I suggest #4 buck or #1 buck over 00 every time. More lethal loads. 00 is preferred by many only because of Hollywood hype and hearsay/tradition.

We're gonna do some load comparisons next week.

Just some things to think about!

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 pm 

I go the small route too, but a red dot isn't a bad choice either. They are undeniably faster to use than irons. I disagree with those who say you don't aim a shotgun, you point it.... You do aim a shotgun for defensive type purposes, and you can learn to aim it very quickly with either irons or a dot. Learning how to move fluidly with a shotgun at aerial targets is a skill too, but it isn't exclusive of using aiming where appropriate. (insert cliche about being responsible for every pellet...)

I also recommend a choke, and choosing ammo with a very predictable and evenly distributed pattern. For me the golden intersection of all performance attributes is ~1oz of #4 buck at ~1350-1400 FPS. Moderate recoil, perfect penetration/minimal overpenetration, excellent spread, 21 or 22 potentially lethal wound tracks evenly distributed over a fist sized area in home distances with a full choke.

I keep a green laser on my S12, because it highlights my aim point, illuminates my target, partially blinds people, and is a very powerful communicaiton tool. It also makes a decent way to aim when you can't get a conventional sight picture for whatever reason.

shotguns, some gunsmithing, reloading, fabrication, knife making, etc.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/armaggedonite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:39 am 

All good advice, GF. 8-)

OP, how did ammo testing go? I agree that 150 would be low for your application. I am beginning to look at higher lumens with maximum diffusion for a very broad field of view. Just don't want bright enough to blind myself inside a house. Each light has a different personality.

For bear, you may try a hexolit slug by dduplex. They specialize in penetration.

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!