THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:59 pm 

I recently purchased a VEPR 12 semi automatic shotgun for home and perimeter protection. Not going to do any hunting with it, no plinking and only to the range periodically to maintain proficiency maybe every other month. The only rounds going down range will be slugs and 00 buck. I want to possibly add either an optic or a scope, not sure which but leaning red dot optic. So here's my question and I hope you can shed great light upon this topic with your recommendations.

1. Which would be the best option if this weapon is primarily used for home defense?

2. If you have a recommendation, can you suggest a good entry level and one that is a step above. Feel free to share your reasons why.

Thank you for the feedback.

Slug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:13 am 

No scope. Red dot or nothing. Make it small and mount fully to the rear of the top rail if you want to avoid failure of empty hulls to clear the breach. Hear the Holosun optics are really nice and affordable. Cheapest I'd go...

Would recommend a weapon light as well. 150 lumen or less and very broad throw. Don't want to blind yourself indoors, and this will still illuminate out to 75 yd well enough. Plenty for a shotgun.

Be sure to read the ammo sticky by GunFun. Some slugs and buck can cause problems. Need to make sure of your weapons pressure base line and use ammo a step or two above that.

Also, I suggest #4 buck or #1 buck over 00 every time. More lethal loads. 00 is preferred by many only because of Hollywood hype and hearsay/tradition.

Just some things to think about!