THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:32 pm 
Voice of Reason

Let me start off by saying i have had no problem whatsoever with my csspec mags, but i did notice something, and thought i could ask.

The feed lips are a little different than a standard ak mag, so this may be due to design, but i notice when cycling the mag the nose of the actual bullet is pushed up by the front of the magazine, sorta scraping along. This has not caused any issues, but being myself, it made me wonder if it might catch the edge of the brass or otherwise do odd things to the projectile. Is it advisable to trim down the front top of the mag to reduce contact, or otherwise smooth this edge to reduce this drag, or is this needed to lift the cartridge from the magazine and into the chamber?

Just curious.

ps. 40 round... Still want.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:12 pm 
Business Member

In this style of magazine the front edge is the bullet guide, it could be smoothed more which could improve accuracy slightly.

In our Saiga .308 magazines which we designed after the vepr, we came up with a way to eliminate the need for the mag to have a bullet guide.

In roughly three to six months the vepr .308 magazine design is going to be reevaluated for a possible production improvements. It is likely that the bullet guide will be eliminated at that time.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:35 pm 

Definitely look at the differences in the Russian followers & the ones you use. When I put a plastic Russian follower in one of your 20rd metal mags it made a very noticeable difference in the rattle.

And I would love to see even higher capacity mags available.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:06 pm 
Voice of Reason

Csspecs wrote:
In this style of magazine the front edge is the bullet guide, it could be smoothed more which could improve accuracy slightly.

In our Saiga .308 magazines which we designed after the vepr, we came up with a way to eliminate the need for the mag to have a bullet guide.

In roughly three to six months the vepr .308 magazine design is going to be reevaluated for a possible production improvements. It is likely that the bullet guide will be eliminated at that time.

Thank you for answering so quickly, I appreciate it and will be sure not to remove too much material, and am excited to see this second gen vepr mag, its impressive to see the manufacturer of the best product on the market talk about making improvements, even without real competition.

I also did the follower swap, just to check it out, but do not think it is a real issue, as the rattle is just a product of the materials, the oem poly mags rattle too, they just dont sound like metal. I doubt you would want to go through the extra step of making poly followers when the metal one functions fine.

I will admit that i was a little dissappointed that the csspec follower would not fit in the oem mag, sacrificing a 5round mag. Id much rather have a 20 round than a five, so thats not a big deal, but it would have been nice.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:50 pm 

There are slight differences in the designs of the follower that make a difference. These mags seek rattle more than any others I have no matter the material. Maybe it is the larger/heavier cartridges? I don't have any other larger caliber guns with removable magazines to compare to.

And I was also disappointed that I couldn't put the metal follower into the plastic mag body.