THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 1:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: steel saiga 12 mag
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:36 am 

So I received a test mag. :D not much to say on my end. It was packaged beautifully and predicted to not be able to lock without modifications to the rear lug. I shot about a hundred rounds before modifying it, thus requiring the mag to be held tightly. The only failures I have experienced were the first two mags on the 3rd round on both. I am pretty certain that my unfamiliarity with how tight to hold and drifting focus of two rounds were enough to cause failure to rise. This happened one other time previous to the mod to the rear lug and hasn't happened since. It sure does suck putting upward pressure instead of a proper handguard hold, resulting in getting beat up! Haven't experienced that in a long time so I make a quick effort to fix the problem there. I sought out for some precision files, and found a set at a yard sale the same exact time that a friend also found a set for me. So I wound up with two! :mrgreen:

I have about 500 rounds fired through this mag with 3 failures total to speak of. Those 3 I completely blame on myself and not anything else. Neither the shotgun nor the mag have been cleaned. And I plan to return soon for more. I have went like 10 out of 12 days of having this mag.

I have a lot of pics and a couple of hd videos (my first YouTube uploads ever :oops: ) so without any more delay here it sits.
And here at the beautiful Tennessee mountain.

Post subject: Re: steel saiga 12 mag
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:38 am 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:43 am 

First failure documented.Image
Resulting in these Image
And this is the beginning of the mod
Almost there!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:53 am 

It locks!
:shock:
Cleaned up a little
And that's about how it sits as of now. I may or may not clean that step some more but it works perfect for now.

A couple ergonomic notes. I found that I agree about these mags fitting better into pouches due to their size. And the spine while not a major flaw can be somewhat uncomfortable after a long session of shooting and loading. The mag held up to as many spetsnaz pushups as I could muster in the warm Tn afternoon, which was a grand total of 5! 8-)
I know the shotgun needs some tlc but I'm an abuser. Spare me the nit picking please. I will finish it some day.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:11 am 

And here are the pre-mod videos. Yes there is a mag pouch being used as an improvised sissy pad. As mentioned holding the mag prevents a proper hold and got to be rather annoying. Rest assured both shooters can handle this shotgun with no problems both shooting ambidextrously. Using said proper hold. And now that the mag locks in that is no longer a problem. :ugeek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ3H6EJDejI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjhBr8LCu1w

Really wish it would embed!

Please ask questions, provide feedback on my review, and discuss!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:09 pm 

This review...is amazing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:53 am 

No video or anything, but I'd like the people to know the mag I've been beta testing performed very well.

I am very impressed with it overall.

It is a prototype, with some known issues, but so long as I worked around those, it fed ammo that would likely have jammed in my other mags. I modified the feed lips, which was suggested by CSSpecs, but in a slightly different way than he suggested, and modified the locking lug. I need to get the rear lug welded for a permanent fix, but the sucker feeds even deformed ammo that I stick in there well. It is very strong, and has superb finish.

if anyone has questions about my experience, feel free to message me. I feel rather honored to get to be part of the development process for this excellent product.

I know the production versions will be somewhat different than mine, but this thing just reeks of quality. I will probably be buying several of them once it goes production.

shotguns, some gunsmithing, reloading, fabrication, knife making, etc.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/armaggedonite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:04 pm 

Anyone heard anything about when they might go into production?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:30 am 
Business Member

Its going to be a little longer. I have a list of changes that are to be made, then another sample set then production.

We had a number of corrections to adjust for a math error in the body plates. Now I'm convinced that it can not be corrected sufficiently. So we are fixing that, and removing the adjustments that caused other issues. One issue was failure to rise, which was caused by one of the corrections, to prevent rimlock we closed the rim gap to much and caused resistance.

I'm at the family hunting camp while the dies are being cut, figured I better get a vacation in now, because once production starts I'll be stuck at work for a year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:45 pm 

Csspecs wrote:
Its going to be a little longer. I have a list of changes that are to be made, then another sample set then production.

We had a number of corrections to adjust for a math error in the body plates. Now I'm convinced that it can not be corrected sufficiently. So we are fixing that, and removing the adjustments that caused other issues. One issue was failure to rise, which was caused by one of the corrections, to prevent rimlock we closed the rim gap to much and caused resistance.

I'm at the family hunting camp while the dies are being cut, figured I better get a vacation in now, because once production starts I'll be stuck at work for a year.

Would love to see some good quality steel mags come out for the VEPRS too! Good luck with these.