THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: TIGHT GUN, ADVICE?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:23 pm 

Just recently picked up 4 of your magazines for the VEPR 12. Great product! very well done. I have a few questions about fitting. i have some of the SGM mags as well, and they all seem to fit tight. they will lock in, but it takes more effort than I would like as well as rearward pressure on the magazine at the bottom, I fitted two of the mags, and your guide says to make the top of the mag even with the slot cut in the ejector block. If I do that, a dummy 12 gauge 2 3/4 " round is touching the top of the chamber where the "fingers" come back. Is this a problem? It seems like this would actually push the round downward in the front, even inserting on an open bolt. I settled for 1/16" below the slot, which your directions say is allowable. The rounds are nearly touching the top of the fingers even here, and i think a 3" round probably would. The two that I have done at 1/16"low required removing quite a bit off both surfaces, but I suspect my gun is "tight" for lack of a better term. I did notice that with higher power rounds, one of the mags doesn't allow the bolt to lock back, though it works fine with birdshot. I'm thinking this is a consequence of the mag sitting a little lower in the gun. So, should I bring them up flush and not worry about round clearance on top? Or should I not go so high that the rounds are striking the top of the chamber? I'd like the mags to insert easier in general, can I remove more from surface 2 or will I run into trouble if they don't seat tight? I'm using this for competiton, so I'd like the mags to insert as easy as possible. People told me that VEPR mags went straight in like an AR, EH, not exactly. But I'd like to make insertion easier without the mags dropping out under recoil or not actuating the LRBHO. I know there is no going back if I make it too loose,

Thanks, You make a great product

Post subject: Re: TIGHT GUN, ADVICE?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:07 pm 

I would recommend to drop this question on CSSPECS website, or AKFILES, you get much quicker response from them. There is diagram how to fit it that usually comes with magazines.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:15 am 
Business Member

Sorry I'm not the fastest on this forum, not a ton of day to day activity and I have been fairly busy of late (also I'm at hunting camp and internet is a bit sketchy)..

If the magazines are fitting tightly, odds are a little more trimming on the upper surface will have it right. You can bring the top of the rear lug basically flush to the slot in the ejector without any issue, you can even end up high of it a little without any issues.. Normally it is not needed, but if you have a tight gun you have a tight gun.. When you get closer to perfect fit the amount removed to cause a drastic change will fall off fairly quickly.

As for the one magazine not locking the bolt back.. I suggest cleaning the magazine out, maybe a little squirt of gun oil and wipe it out, nothing extreme.. If it does not clear up contact me to do a check up on it.. Could also be good to check the resistance on the LRBHO lever, sometimes some grit gets in there and it starts acting funny with one mag then another and another until it stops locking back entirely.. Normally a good cleaning with set it right.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:24 pm 

thanks for the reply. The one that doesn't always lock the bolt back I think I fitted too low in the gun. I've watched the videos and your instructions several times and I think I have it sorted now, I've fitted 2 of the others by bringing them up within a 16th of the ejector slot (one is flush) and they both seem to work well. the low one functions fine too, but I don't think I can bring it up any now without making it perhaps too loose. I'll live with it, as I'm the one who caused it, after all. I think I just have to get over the really high shell presentation that seems to be the norm for these guns.

Good hunting!