THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:37 pm 
Business Member

Here are photos from the range trip yesterday. The rifle is a new Vepr 7.62x54r rifle with a 16" barrel from Atlantic Firearms. The custom furniture is our's. The buttstock has a 1" recoil pad and cheek piece. The scope mount is genuine Vepr with UTG rings and a Millett TRS-1 scope.

So, they say photos are worth a thousand words. Here are the results at 100 yards. The two great silhouette groups are with Novosibersk 150gr FMJ ammo from AIM. By the way, the duct tape is covering holes from when I was first sighting in the scope.

Next up are two different kinds of Prvi Partizan ammo labeled in the photo:

So, you can see why I am a happy camper.

I will be posting pricing info on the furniture shortly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:17 am 

I need a grip for my 54R and noticed a regular AK doesn't work without lots of MOD..

Which grip is that?? and if your companies.. how much for one??

Glock 30, Marlin Papoose
http://www.RioGrandeArms.Com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:42 am 
Business Member

YWHIC wrote:
I need a grip for my 54R and noticed a regular AK doesn't work without lots of MOD..

Which grip is that?? and if your companies.. how much for one??

Doesn't your 54r have the regular AKM grip nut configuration for mounting the pistol grip? Not sure what modifications you are referring to and don't want to steer you wrong.

If you mean the entire furniture, it depends on the options you select:
http://shop.roninsgrips.com/Vepr-Furniture_c16.htm

If you are interested in just the pistol grip, the one used in the photos here is our US-made Molot grip, which is $33 + S&H. You can see more pictures and order one from our website if you'd like:
http://shop.roninsgrips.com/Russian-Mol ... t-Grip.htm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:13 pm 

I just went to put on a Houge grip and it needed ALOT of material removed to wrap further around the trigger guard to get the alignment right with the factory PG bushing/nut..

I do have the 54R from TGI imports and its the 20.5" flavor if that makes any difference.. don't think it would..

Glock 30, Marlin Papoose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:19 pm 
Business Member

YWHIC wrote:
I just went to put on a Houge grip and it needed ALOT of material removed to wrap further around the trigger guard to get the alignment right with the factory PG bushing/nut..

I do have the 54R from TGI imports and its the 20.5" flavor if that makes any difference.. don't think it would..

Hmmm... it's hard to say if a little fitting may be required from rifle to rifle. On mine, I did do a little filing in the front channel to allow a better seating but I wouldn't call it a lot. The grip is solid plastic there so removing plastic will not affect integrity. My 54r is a TGI also. I bought it at the end of July from Atlantic Firearms.

It did take a while for me to get the screw to line up with the grip nut - I do recall that. I can't speak to the Hogue design as I haven't had one for 2-3 years now. With our Molot grip the screw passes through a 1/2" drill hole that allows some screw movement in all directions so we can tolerate some amount of variation in regards to the layout of the rifle. We have a lot of customers using this grip on many different AK models due to its size, ergonomics and adaptable design.

Does this help?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:45 pm 

Greg from CSS replied on S12 that Hogues hole is set back abit and to widen it forward.. I could see one of your grips in the SHORT future.. ;)

Glock 30, Marlin Papoose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:37 pm 
Business Member

Sounds cool. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Sincerely,

Ronin aka George

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:50 pm 

Very Nice. I am about to embark on a similar build....non-integrated,20", vepr .308. I am wondering.....is the scope in your photo mounted on centerline or slightly left. I am am left handed and thinking that I should mount left rather than above the iron sights. I would like to keep the iron sights usable. What are your thoughts.
thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:09 pm 
Business Member

blackwaterfrog wrote:
Very Nice. I am about to embark on a similar build....non-integrated,20", vepr .308. I am wondering.....is the scope in your photo mounted on centerline or slightly left. I am am left handed and thinking that I should mount left rather than above the iron sights. I would like to keep the iron sights usable. What are your thoughts.
thanks in advance

I went for the actual Molot brand scope rail from Atlantic Firearms. It was $99 but worth it. It fit like a glove out of the box and gives you a nice low picatinny rail centered on the rifle. Every side rail I've had on AKs before this required some fitting but this one slid on beautifully right out of the box.

I did a quick search and they still have it in stock: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/compone ... l?Itemid=0

The setup works great for me & I'd recommend the mount. I am still very happy with the scope as well but with a pictanny rail you have tons of options of course.

BTW - I'm not affiliated with any of the vendors. Just a happy user.