THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:59 pm 

Can any one provide me advice on HOW to depress the recoil cam spring on my VEPR 7,62X54r rifle? It is brand new from the factory, so perhaps the parts need some working in. But I cannot depress the cam in order to remove the receiver cover for initial field stripping and cleaning. I have even tried hammering the cam with a rubber mallet and bronze punch (being very careful not to mar the finish). It looks like the cam must be pushed in AND down at the same time, in order for it to clear the square hole in the receiver cover. What am I doing wrong? There furthermore seems to be no cam release button to depress first.

The instruction booklet provided with the rifle is not very detailed. But the VEPR seems to have an AK 47 action, which I am familiar with. But the AK 47 has a cam release button on the starboard side of the receiver to facilitate cam depression. Not so on the VEPR.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:54 am 

Yeah, the covers on these rifles are on there TIGHT from the factory. The do wear in a bit over time. I use a flathead screw driver to press it in then have get it off from there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:09 pm 

I had to push in and down and wiggle the heck out of mine in 308

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:09 pm 

Well, if that's the case, so much for my concern with the pristine cosmetics of my factory new rifle. The cam is U shaped on top, like a snubbie rear sight, and has a lip that extends OVER the top of the receiver cover hole. It sounds like I am going to have to bang it around with a mallet. What a drag.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:22 pm 

Plastic mallets are about $4 at harbor freight, and brass punches are nice to have around.

shotguns, some gunsmithing, reloading, fabrication, knife making, etc.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/armaggedonite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:03 am 

I have a rubber mallet and some brass punches. I cover the cam button with a cotton rag and hammer away, but yet to no avail. I suppose what I really want to know at this point is if my rifle is defective from the factory, - or if it is supposed to be so difficult to depress the cam button and remove the cover. Some folks on the forum are indicating that this difficulty exists some times with factory new VEPR rifles. I will probably have to take the gun to a smith and see if he can help me with this problem. Thanks for all the good feedback to my post!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:57 am 

Yep, my standard VEPR is the same design. I used to need a screwdriver to get it loose, but can do it by hand now. The Hunter model uses a smaller button so it is even more difficult to remove.