THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 10:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: UTAS XTR-12
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:16 am 

Never figured myself much of a shotgun guy, but finally got moved to the country, and would like a little something for close range, that isn't going to end up in the side of a barn a mile away. Yelping coyotes combined with pitch black and tall grass freak me out a little. Maybe I'm a sissy, I dunno.

I know this is blasphemy, but was thinking about the UTAS XTR-12. Anyone have one they don't regret buying? lol. Seems to be a lot of negative about the rifle.

http://www.utas-usa.com/semiautoshotgun

From what I have read so far, it seems the upper will almost drop into an Aero lower, some rear lug clearance issues. I was looking at some other lowers, but anything untested concerns me. They're supposed to be DPMS pattern though. Would be curious if anyone knew more.

UTAS claims being able to swap the upper, and shoot .308, but I already had an idea for a DPMS upper, with a quick release barrel setup, so I could run .308 Win, .358 Win, .338 Federal, and 6.5 Creedmore.

Was thinking about buying a UTAS, then a blank multi caliber DPMS upper/lower combo. Just keeping the upper from the UTAS. Imagine opening up a Pelican case, with a lower, two uppers, assorted barrels, scopes, dots/etc, and a bunch of mags. Basically a modular kit.

My shoulder would probably regret it, but the PDW style stocks sure do fit the bill.
https://troyind.com/products/stock-tomahawk-308-tan

This lower is pretty awesome, but I cant find the same style in a large frame. Anyone know of one?
https://www.rainierarms.com/battle-arms ... -stripped/

Modern Weapon Systems Post Sample UTAS XTR-12 6.5" sbs testing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WTUHDYgU2s

Evl, if you by chance read this, I came across some of your posts on other forums through a web search, how is that one you have coming along?

I'm probably dreaming a little bit, as life has went and got me into a huge mess of things I need to take care of before anything else, but just thought I'd throw the idea out there, and see if anyone might have any input.

Post subject: Re: UTAS XTR-12
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:17 am 
Big Sal

Without dreamers we wouldn’t make it far.

I have to admit those systems look slicker than the first generation of Turkish made At-12 variants.
If you get one, I’d be curious to see how it runs.

best,
BigSal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:21 am 

Look into the AR style VR60 and VR 80. They are imported by RIA. Made in Turkey. Where you are living now you might have mountain lions too. ...I still see Vepr 12s with thumbhole stocks on GB for under 900. They are comfy. There's also nothing wrong with a good ole Mossberg with 18" barrel to save some money.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:48 pm 
Business Member

There is potential in the XTR-12, but it needs a lot of attention and rework. There are a lot of design issues, some simple and some major. I haven't had time to take this one the rest of the way and it looks like I am going to have to redesign some things in it to make it a winner. They could have knocked it out of the park with this model, but apparently no one there the fully understands the basics of gas operated semi-auto shotgun design. If you are not very creative and very good at modifying things to run better I do not recommend it. You would likely have much better service from a Lynx, KS-12, or a well worked Saiga-12. The Vepr-12 can be good too, but many will need some attention in the right areas.

Custom Saiga-12, Vepr-12, KS-12, and Lynx builds
(SBS and reliability are my specialties)
Cerakote and Moly Resin refinishing
AK100 installs
...and more

DIRECT ALL INQUIRIES TO...
evlutionz@yahoo.com