THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:42 pm 

Would it be possible to either modify a double barrel side by side or over under into a pistol grip only, 26" overall legnth "firearm" like the shockwave? Or could an SOT re-manufacture one into a "firearm"?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:44 am 

If it EVER had a stock on it then it will always be a "shotgun" by the ATF's definitions. Therefore, NO. You can pay the tax stamp and do this though.

And most double barrel shotguns do not have the receiver length needed to cycle the bolt back to reach the 26" minimum length with a barrel that is much shorter than 18" anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:06 pm 

So basically it would have to be a barreled reciver only from the factory,Ok gotcha. Just remembering cadiz gun works used to offer a saiga 12 aow and was wondering if the same could be done with a double at 26" overall to be classified as a firearm. That wouldve been cool, love those bearclaw sxs and o/u.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:53 pm 

An AK receiver isn't the most difficult thing to make from scratch, apparently. Heck, a few years ago a guy made one from an old shovel!

It might be a little bit more difficult to make a double barrel receiver. I might be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:40 pm 

Bindun by at least 3 companies I know of.

The trouble with AK shotguns is that the sheet metal ain't legally the receiver. The front trunion is. The trunion has a lot of complex and critical cuts and is a load and semi pressure bearing part. In other words, it is not super easy.

Companies I am aware of who have made AOW designated PGO firearms:

Cadiz Gun Works (1st IMO)

Some company which makes retarded octo rail handguard saiga conversions. Never can remember the name.
Dubious whether theirs actually meet the standards for AOW, since I think they did just replace the sheet metal.

R&R - They at least still offer one. I think their intended market was as a breaching tool.

If they were to leave long barrels on there, they could conceivably meet the same "firearm" desgination with less work needed than was required for the AOWs.

However, I can't see much appeal for the format.

shotguns, some gunsmithing, reloading, fabrication, knife making, etc.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/armaggedonite

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:19 am 
Generally Butt Naked

Is the front trunnion actually the receiver? I always thought that since the serial number is on the trunnion on saigas you can't legally demill the receiver and remove the trunnion without violating the law on defacing or removing serial numbers. I think there's a guy on the AK files who makes AK rifle trunnions, maybe he could make some for shotguns if there is enough interest