THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:31 pm 

Upgrading my VEPR12. One of the things I am considering is a flared magwell. I was looking at the aluminum add on to the OEM synthetic magwell but it is back ordered everywhere. I then bought the MOLOT OEM synthetic one but before it was installed got some good info that it is not as durable as the standard magwell so hesitant to use it. Looking for input from those in the VEPR community who have shot theirs in competition a lot more than I. What's the consensus on the merits of... "To Flare or Not to Flare"

Thanks! Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:38 am 
Business Member

Neph has a little experience with them, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:19 am 

Did you buy this one? https://ishooter.ru/en/product/gorlovin ... 10491.html

Flare is better than no flare for reloads. I went with the bolt on one that fits over the standard magwell. I also bought the one in the above link but the flare on that isnt as large as the bolt on. The one in the above link is pretty solidly built. Not sure what you mean when you said it wasnt durable?

After loading the vepr on the clock i liked the flare so much that i bought a lancer flared magwell for my ar15 for those unloaded start stages in ipsc. Flares for everyone i say!✌

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:11 pm 

If your concerned about durability, why not go with an all aluminum or steel magwell? They are both flared. Thats the route I would take personally. Im not a fan of bolt on additions, especially to polymer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:42 am 

I just finished out a thread that ended with the flared magwell, I have the Custom Guns version that snaps and screws down over the factory magwell. The first time I installed it, it worked great. I took it off to loctite the screws and managed to over tighten the screws which ended up causing the mags to enter the well a little off and caused some malfunctions, I just figured out the problem tonight, took it off and re-installed and all is good now.

It works very well for it’s purpose but if you go with it, install it with caution.

P.S. has anyone who has the bolt on one drilled into the OE mag well so that the screws actually engage the magwell instead of just interference fitting on the lip of the OE one?

Last edited by T-Bone on Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:35 pm 

Yes that is the one I purchased. Had some feeback that they tended to break w/ a greater frequency than the standard magwell and my best bet was to go W/ a metal flared magwell. Thanks for the input!

Mark