THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:05 am 

Hey all, I saw the AlfArms railed gas tube on one of V for Vandetta's videos on YouTube and thought it would be a good mounting option for my Vortex Razor red dot to get it a little lower and further forward. 4 Range has been sold out for some time and just got them back so I ordered one.

I tried to install it and had zero luck. I watched the install on the aforementioned video but even with the adjuster sleeve all the way in, I can't get the locking lever closed. I know the locking lever drives the tube forward a little, but on mine, the flat on the tube that engages the hand guard retainer drives it so far forward, the hand guard retainer is just about to the point of not capturing the front of the hand guard any longer. Compared to the slight movement on the video, mine is being pushed forward way too much. The only way to get the lever closed was to remove the lock nut and back off the adjuster further, but then it won't even really engage in the gas block like it's supposed to, so filing down the lock nut won't really work. The OEM gas tube, handuard, and retainer fit perfectly, so it seems the shotgun parts are all where they should be. I did also notice on the aluminum body, where the flat that engages the hand guard retainer has threads poking through for the where the adjuster sleeve threads in, so I'm thinking maybe the entire piece was mis-machined.

I'm at a loss, I tried a bunch of different methods and angles, no luck. If V or anyone else that has one reads this and has any ideas, please let me know. If not, I'll probably contact 4 Range about a return or exchange.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:02 pm 

I’ll get u squared away. I’ll post a reply later when I have some time.

-V

WWW.4RANGE.COM Use code "V4V5" FOR 5% OFF

"Harness the power of your Inner Russian"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:52 am 

VforVandetta wrote:
I’ll get u squared away. I’ll post a reply later when I have some time.

-V

Appreciate it, Just getting over having the flu, I’ll hold off on anything drastic.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:20 am 

Having actually read the post now I believe you are correct in saying it may be a manufacturing defect.

There are variations between guns, the one I noted was between 2 different Veprs the tube itself needed trimmed on the sides where it drops in below the gas tube lever, you can see where it’s shiny in my video. Before I trimmed it, I tested it on 2 guns, and one it dropped right in.

The problem you described is not adding up. I would saw go ahead and ask for an exchange. Tell Max I sent you.

-V

WWW.4RANGE.COM Use code "V4V5" FOR 5% OFF

"Harness the power of your Inner Russian"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:23 pm 

I had similar problems with my Alfa rail also. I had to do some filing to allow the lever to lock in the gas block. However now my lower rail is loose because the retainer notch on the rail is not in the same place as the oem gas block. It's a few mm difference so now if the lower handguard is seated all the way back the prongs on the front aren't all the way in the retainer which causes a wobble. I have the oem handguard without the rails and one with, both are loose. If I move the lower handguard slightly forward it sets fine but there's the slop in the rear which gets worse after firing. I was hesitant at filing because I thought I might of got one that was defective but my friend wouldn't listen and filed it when I was in another room now I'm stuck with what I have.

I'm wondering if there's a way to shim the lower handguard to eliminate the wobble. There's a ridiculous amount of adjustment on these gas blocks which makes no sense to me because mines damn near bottomed out. I thought about modifying the handguard for a set screw but there's not a lot to work with on these things.

Also does anyone know if the Alfa gas block is compatible with other handguards if so which ones or am I stuck using the oem ones on this setup.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:05 am 
Business Member

Jarlamb81 wrote:
I had similar problems with my Alfa rail also. I had to do some filing to allow the lever to lock in the gas block. However now my lower rail is loose because the retainer notch on the rail is not in the same place as the oem gas block. It's a few mm difference so now if the lower handguard is seated all the way back the prongs on the front aren't all the way in the retainer which causes a wobble. I have the oem handguard without the rails and one with, both are loose. If I move the lower handguard slightly forward it sets fine but there's the slop in the rear which gets worse after firing. I was hesitant at filing because I thought I might of got one that was defective but my friend wouldn't listen and filed it when I was in another room now I'm stuck with what I have.

I'm wondering if there's a way to shim the lower handguard to eliminate the wobble. There's a ridiculous amount of adjustment on these gas blocks which makes no sense to me because mines damn near bottomed out. I thought about modifying the handguard for a set screw but there's not a lot to work with on these things.

Also does anyone know if the Alfa gas block is compatible with other handguards if so which ones or am I stuck using the oem ones on this setup.

I have no experience with this product, but it sounds like welding may be the answer to eliminating the unwanted movement from your firend overfitting it. If you do not have anyone who can weld thin,small things like that, I do. Contact me by PM if you need some help with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:39 pm 

I'd use jb weld or some kind of shim before welding the inside of the retainer. My friend didn't over fit the gas block, there was a small amount of material that wasn't machined enough to allow the gas tube lever to close. Even if the block wasn't filed the notch on the bottom would be in the same place. I've seen loose ak handguards and this seems like it might be an issue that I can't be on my own with. This things also a very tight, with it completely collapsed it barely fits like it's too long placing the retainer notch being around 3mm from where the oem one is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:56 am 

I ended up sending mine back in for a refund. Maxim at 4Range e-mailed about a week or two later and said he had gotten in some shorter ones and offered to sell me one with free shipping, I declined at the time because I WAS having luck with the dust cover rail and I had cut/ground the stock gas tube to fit with the Dissident hand guard and it turned out nice. Fast forward a couple matches and the dust cover rail is just too unreliable on keeping zero, so I reached out and he had one left in stock that seemed 50/50 if it would fit. I bought it and it was still too long, however, I simply removed the lock nut and used a bunch of blue loctite on the threads and I got it to fit (the hand guard flat on the tube doesn't matter now that the factory hand guard and hand guard retainer are gone). It seems to return to the same place after removing and re-installing, I'll need to test to verify.