THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 1:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: external molot chokes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:16 pm 

hey guys got a quick question. i picked up 2 molot chokes (0.5 and 1.0) do the oem factory external chokes from molot increase or decrease back-pressure in the barrel? i had a bet with my friend that i believe they increase back-pressure due to the fact that any kind barrel constriction should and will increase back-pressure and allow a gun to cycle more easily with low brass/lower power shells. thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:16 pm 

Any increase in length or constriction will slightly increase total back pressure. Not neccessarily peak pressure, because it's already falling well before it would get to a choke, but total pressure over time, and pressure available to the gas system slightly.

It is not going to be major though. Perhaps some shells which cycle intermittently will function weakly with more regularity.

shotguns, some gunsmithing, reloading, fabrication, knife making, etc.

I'm a firearms/NFA attorney in Wa. Let's combine business, pleasure, and stamps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/armaggedonite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:13 am 

When I was chrono-testing ammo I got a chance to run some Federal bulk pack with a mod choke and without, as well as with a choke and brake, and just a brake, and of course with no device.

The device used was a Competitive Edge Dynamics Millennium 2 Chronograph with IR sky screens and remote digital readout(nicest one you can get pretty much.)

my finding were pretty consistent.

The choke added about 60-80 FPS of muzzle energy.

The brake subtracted about 60-80 fps of muzzle energy.

I thought it was pretty cool. The pressure you sacrifice by adding a brake is given right back with a choke.

-V

WWW.4RANGE.COM Use code "V4V5" FOR 5% OFF

"Harness the power of your Inner Russian"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:00 pm 

VforVandetta wrote:
The choke added about 60-80 FPS of muzzle energy.
The brake subtracted about 60-80 fps of muzzle energy.

Vadim,
That data just cinched my deliberation about whether to add the Briley internal choke to my barrel chop with GK-03++ that I've been discussing with Mike Whitesides.
Thanks, Bro. And your VEPR12AllDay vids provide fantastic info about how to set up my (long-time 870- & AK-guy) first AND ONLY semi-auto shotgun.
Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year for you and yours. 2018 is going to be hogs' nightmare :twisted:

Last edited by GDubya on Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:34 am 

Sorry, deleting doubled post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:15 pm 

hey guys, i got a update about the 0.5 and 1.0 molot external chokes i got and was testing. i went to my small range at my families cabin and was able to compare shot size groupings.

vepr-12 used was my early 2014 side folder with a brand new gk-03++ muzzle brake attached to the external chokes. i strongly recommend taking the required time and tightening up the muzzle brake and the choke properly so neither gets loose. i seen in the past people do rapid shooting at my local gun range with their vepr-12 and fail to tighten the brake and or choke properly and this lead to a dangerous situation with the attachments becoming very loose.

0.5 molot choke yielded a 6 inch group at 18 yards.

1.0 molot choke yielded a 5 inch group at 18 yards.

the differences at close range is negligible between these 2 external chokes.

the 1.0 molot external choke should yield, now i am guesstimating, i would say a 8-10 inch group at a distance of 25-30 yards.

ammo i used was federal 3 dram field/target 1200 fps, 7 1/2 and 1 1/8 oz. (aka walmart 100 rd. brick pack)

hope this helps anyone who wants to buy one of these excellent hard chrome lined factory chokes for your v12.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:45 am 

Thanks for the update! Had wondered how the Russian chokes perform. 8-)

V- Interesting insight about the muzzle velocity. Wouldn't think a brake would affect either way. Perhaps the close structure of the break creates a larger amount of atmospheric boundary layer to penetrate at the muzzle. I'll have to think on that one.

Praise the LORD, an' pass the amma-nition!