THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Vepr Going Forward
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:14 am 

Hi I have been lurking on here on and off for several years. I have 2 vepr12s. One with a wood stock that I purchased when they were first released and the prices were very high and a folder purchased a couple of years later when prices were very low. The wood stock is still unfired and the folder has a few hundred rounds through it. The folder came with no hint of a weld on it.

What is the popular opinion of the current ban, does it look to be forever? What is the state of the aftermarket support? I am very low on funds now and into the near future and I am concerned that by the time I get the funds for things like 922 compliance that the parts supply will have dried up. I know Russian mags are now about impossible to get, what other parts will be likely to dry up?

I feel like a dummy for not tricking out my veprs when I had the funds but I thought the aftermarket would be expanding and it would be a buyers market in the future.

Post subject: Re: Vepr Going Forward
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:33 pm 

If Trump's administration continues building positive relations with Russia I think the trade embargo and import restrictions could be lifted in his first term. It was probably always going to be a temporary ban, so the question is: how temporary? If the ban persists for long it will cool manufacturers and innovators to the idea of creating/selling aftermarket parts for the VEPR line. Which sucks for us in the short term. We've already started to see some of those effects. Conversely, if the ban is especially long it's just more encouragement for IZHMASH to build a factory in the US and sell directly to the Capitalist Pigs -- I mean hungry American market. So I wouldn't stress about it too much.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:06 am 

I think Veprs will be back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:37 am 

Commie Mike wrote:
I think Veprs will be back.

I sure hope so.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:20 pm 

the veprs are not going to be coming back, i am willing to bet 99.999% certainty on this fact. the veprs will continue to climb in value, just like the previously banned kalash rifles thanks to obama. the chinese ak rifles were blacklisted/banned under the bush/clinton administrations, even the russian svd rifle was banned from importation in 1993-94 under clinton and at that time we were on better terms with the russians than now, those weapons have never been unbanned, people need to realize that once a governemt banns something it is virtually impossible to reverse this ban short of a miracle. its easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for the government to reverse its bans. the problem is our government, not the people. the people want to buy what they want and our government has other ideas, its just that simple. the only way you could get a vepr shotgun/rifle now would be to either get the blueprints and produce once yourself (if you were a billionare, and had a complete customization shop), or buy a similar copy from kalash usa.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:40 am 

sksguy1 wrote:
the veprs are not going to be coming back, i am willing to bet 99.999% certainty on this fact. the veprs will continue to climb in value, just like the previously banned kalash rifles thanks to obama. the chinese ak rifles were blacklisted/banned under the bush/clinton administrations, even the russian svd rifle was banned from importation in 1993-94 under clinton and at that time we were on better terms with the russians than now, those weapons have never been unbanned, people need to realize that once a governemt banns something it is virtually impossible to reverse this ban short of a miracle. its easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for the government to reverse its bans. the problem is our government, not the people. the people want to buy what they want and our government has other ideas, its just that simple. the only way you could get a vepr shotgun/rifle now would be to either get the blueprints and produce once yourself (if you were a billionare, and had a complete customization shop), or buy a similar copy from kalash usa.

There's more nuance in these economic sanctions than in prior weapon bans. The VEPR 12 is not specifically named in the government's decision/order. Treasury merely updated a prior rule that prohibits US companies from doing business with Kalashnikov Concern (IZHMASH). Specifically, it states that Molot-Oruzhie is considered by the government to be a part of Kalashnikov Concern (there is some legal basis for this) and is therefore a "sanctioned manufacturer". This language is repeated in FIME Group's (US importer) official statement.

If the VEPR 12 is objectively the best AK-pattern semi-auto shotgun then I trust FIME Group to continue their commitment to bringing it (or some variant) to US markets. Americans like to buy "the best" and, as has been proven many times in spectacular fashion by the gun industry over the last 20 years, we're not ones to let the government get in our way. ;)

I think the situation with Russia is likely to cool off over the course of Trump's Presidency. Unless the Ruskies do something stupid like invade Ukraine again I'm confident many of these trade sanctions will be lifted and Molot-branded firearms will begin to trickle back in. It's just going to take some time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:03 pm 
Big Sal

I read each of the comments in this thread. I agree with a lot of you (both pessimist and optimist alike).

What we need is some kind of resolution that leads to an official recognition of Crimea as part of the Russian Federation. Until this occurs, we likely will not see much moment on lifting the ban.

There is no difference between the two major U.S. political parties on this. In fact, only the Libertarian and Green Party had an end to the sanctions built into their platforms (formally and informally).

Anyway, lets hope for the best.