THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:37 am 

So I recently made the plunge and got a Vepr12 today but sadly it's the fixed tubular stock. I've been doing alot of digging online and looking at alot of threads on this forum and I've not finding exactly what I'm looking for.

In a nutshell, I really like the SVD style cheek riser and the stock itself but I really want it to fold. New folding stock mechanisms don't seem to be an option and the trunnions themselves appear to be of a different design. So here's more or less what I'm thinking of.

Install a receiver adapter from Carolina shooters:

[url] https://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/ ... lock-2.htm
[/url]

Take a band saw and cut the tang that protrudes into the trunnion to the tube stock and attach the Storm werks universal folding stock mechanism mating the two

http://stormwerkz.com/stock-folding-mechanisms/stock-folding-mechanism-standard/

Just wanted to get a few opinions. I can't really figure out if the base of the stock is a forging or a casting. It almost looks like a casting and that's going to make welding somewhat difficult. so I'm thinking drill/tap and gunsmith solder. Otherwise I'd likely Tig it up with stainless

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:04 am 
Business Member

That metal welds fine.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:20 am 

brettboat wrote:
So I recently made the plunge and got a Vepr12 today but sadly it's the fixed tubular stock. I've been doing alot of digging online and looking at alot of threads on this forum and I've not finding exactly what I'm looking for.

In a nutshell, I really like the SVD style cheek riser and the stock itself but I really want it to fold. New folding stock mechanisms don't seem to be an option and the trunnions themselves appear to be of a different design. So here's more or less what I'm thinking of.

Install a receiver adapter from Carolina shooters:

[url] https://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/ ... lock-2.htm
[/url]

Take a band saw and cut the tang that protrudes into the trunnion to the tube stock and attach the Storm werks universal folding stock mechanism mating the two

http://stormwerkz.com/stock-folding-mechanisms/stock-folding-mechanism-standard/

Just wanted to get a few opinions. I can't really figure out if the base of the stock is a forging or a casting. It almost looks like a casting and that's going to make welding somewhat difficult. so I'm thinking drill/tap and gunsmith solder. Otherwise I'd likely Tig it up with stainless

You are on the right track my man. We have seen a couple guys cut the stock off and leave a nice flat surface to tap and thread the "nub" or sqaureish part that protrudes into the reciever(the part that holds the triangle 2 hole rear part), and the material on the stock.

I'd link a thread, but all the pictures got wiped in the great Vepr.org picture purge of last year.

If you make the cut in the right place, you should have plenty of meat on the back of the gun and the corresponding surface on the front of the stock to make holes for an ace folding adapter, and you'll be off to the races.

If something goes horribly wrong, you can always drill out the remnants of the original trunnion, install the CSS adapter you linked, and then go from there. But it sounds like you're pretty handy.

-V

WWW.4RANGE.COM Use code "V4V5" FOR 5% OFF

"Harness the power of your Inner Russian"