THE VEPR FORUM

Atterete Dominatum
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Well she folds now.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:10 am 

Shady & All,
Thank you so much for this guide, worked like a champ with a dremel & a little patience.
Awesome Group, eh!
Jon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:25 am 

Stupid question - but where exactly is the weld - on the bottom? i.e. closest to the top of your hand if you were holding the grip? I have a hard time finding it - I assume it is painted too?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:42 am 

It can vary.Mine were in the bottom corners behind pistol grip.Follow the seam around. Youll see it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:45 am 

Youll see a tiny little bump right on the seam where it would fold. Take a pic of your release button. Does it have a little washer around it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:16 am 

I assume the folding release is the button that pushes forward on the left side of the VEPR and is square in shape. I did not see any washers or anything, it just presses forward a little bit, about have the width of a pencil.

I assume this is the weld - it is on the bottom:

It looks pretty small, like a small dot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:44 am 

Thats it my Veppy Brother. Dont go ape shit on it. Take a dremel with a sanding cone and lightly hit it. Some guys just break the weld. It wont take long. Patience. It might take about 30 seconds. Lol. Send pics when your done. Welcome to Veppy World.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:01 am 

Guess I gotta buy a Dremel now :-)

So just concentrate on that small bump on on the left with the cone, and then push forward the button on the left side and I should be all set? I don't know if 922R is a State or federal requirement, but so far I have US SGM magazines, and an a US CNC Warrior Saiga 12/Vepr 12 Knurled Jam Nut.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:14 am 

Get a good dremel kit. Youll need it because you will be a junkie soon.You can sand, shave metal, polish and even do your wifes fingernails- Gun Junkies best friends. Try to break the weld without the dremel. It might save you some money to buy pallets of shotgun shells.There are some posts on this forum about it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:46 pm 

Just a warning, my weld looked similar to this and was not anywhere close to "easy" or "quick."

I probably spent an hour on it with a dremel, mini-hacksaw, and rubber mallet swearing the entire time.

As careful and deliberate as I was being, I ended up with a big cut.

The weld seemed like 1/4" thick. It just kept going and going no matter how far I cut.

When I eventually broke the last small piece of the weld, some of the stock "plate" came with it.

It works perfectly and looks fine after some touch up paint, but it was NOT easy....

Nevermind trying to get the pistol grip off.... if I were going to do THAT again I would just cut the damn grip and screw in half and order a new piece for the receiver.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:24 am 

Commie Mike wrote:
Get a good dremel kit. Youll need it because you will be a junkie soon.You can sand, shave metal, polish and even do your wifes fingernails- Gun Junkies best friends. Try to break the weld without the dremel. It might save you some money to buy pallets of shotgun shells.There are some posts on this forum about it.

May I also suggest getting the extension for the dremel as well. So much easier to do detailed work holding a pen sized object in your hand compared to a baseball bat.

"..who you choose to be around you let's you know who you really are... life is simple, you make choices and you don't look back"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next